UPS

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowbilly3

A *real* tin magnet
I noticed in another thread that UPS had damaged some items. I ship quite a bit of stuff and I rarely use UPS anymore. Out of about 50 items in 5 years, they completely lost 2 and dealing with their claims is sloooow. Both items had to be stolen by employees. The last time about a year ago, I shipped a 34 Ford bumper and it was never checked in at the first stop over in Casper, Wyoming. How do you loose a 34 Ford bumper? Another time, maybe 3-4 years ago, I shipped a set of NOS side trim for a 72 Ford pickup. I sealed it inside a 6" PVC with so much bubble wrap it couldn't have came out on it's own even if one of the glued on ends had came off. The guy got an empty pipe that was all beat to crap.
Plus I can't ever get an accurate quote from them and they have cost me money. Nope, good old USPS for me and the bus on larger stuff.

I think it is hard to find a good shipper, I have had damage and loss with all of them. The best one was an order of decorative steel, that came by freight. 20 3/4 inch stamped round bars. The guy pulls up, and opens the rear door, and brings me a 4x4 wooden block with a piece of banding attached to it. But it had the shipping lable on it. The round bar was lost and never found.

I work for UPS. Remember the Samsonite gorilla? We hired him and his buddies. Some hints - keep it under 6' long, under 70 Lbs, and always put it in a cardboard box. Even if you put it in a PVC tube first, make the outer container a cardboard box. The way UPS buildings are set up, odds are any non-carboard box is going on the irregulars wagon with all the 150 pounders, chunks of bare metal, and buckets - lots of damage potential. Either way, pack it like it's going into the gorilla cage.

Oh yeah... thanks for the Ford parts Willowbilly. ;)

ups

I also drove for UPS back about 6+ years ago, trained at the Commerece City branch, the hub for Colo. Those floor people were brutal w/t boxes, so was most drivers up in Greeley branch. I've stuff damaged more times than not damaged. Also had quarters damages by Fedex. What you going to do?

I quit buying from Summit racing because they only use UPS and they always more than not lose my stuff. It ends up casting me a week or two to get my stuff when it was only going to take 2 days.

I ordered a guitar and it shipped VIA UPS and it came with a broken neck! First time i ever had a problem with them though.

Latest posts

Back