vertical sectioning a body?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tasvalowna

Hi , im not entirely sure this is quite the right term , but it might have to do until someone sorts me out.
Im just tossing up the idea of cutting up a 60's car and removing about 12 inches through the centre of the car to make it narrower. Im sure this would have been done before , can anyone point me to where i can look to see if its a pipe dream or if its at all possible. I imagine it would be easier than a horizontal section , at least if its cut accurately , the 2 pieces should match up reasonably easy .
until i find the correct term its a little hard to search , so any help would be appreciated
thanks Ben

'Narrowed' is about all I can think of. It doesn't get done often. The biggest problem will be the windshield. Then the rear window. Then the curve of the roof.

Any particular car?

I always wanted take a big car like a late 60's New yorker/ Electra/Galaxie/etc. and widen it even more.

Intresting read.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=185257

292796.jpg

Is this what u're thinkin' of?!? [ddd

BoB

now thats something close.

What i am thinking of is an early 1960's valiant . Narrowed , so I can run the back wheels outboard , chop the roof off and the front end ,Cut it at the B pillar and get rid of the front doors then use a 1920's cowl ive got and marry it on in front of the rear doors . Then run an open engine front end like a normal A model type rod with tranverse leaf front end !!
hows that for thinking outside the square . Its all this clean tasmanian air , makes your imagination go into overdrive.
I was going to build an A model looking roadster but seeing I havent really got any body panels bar a (dodge?) cowl i started thinking what i could build out of the parts I can get locally.
I am going to attempt to do a sketch tonight but my drawing skills arent as good as my grinding skills so I will see how it goes .
ben

I see what you are after now. Yes it can and has been done, often with mixed results. Some are horrendous, some not so bad. Probably the best example would be Aaron Grote's "Lunar Lander" crafted from a early cowling and '59 Olds rear section. It works because it was finished very nicely.

DSCN0342s_detail.JPG

DSCN0404s_detail.JPG

you'll have to excuse my crappy drawing skills , but this is my first drawing for some time but you get the general idea

img1331fy.jpg

I see what you are after now. Yes it can and has been done, often with mixed results. Some are horrendous, some not so bad. Probably the best example would be Aaron Grote's "Lunar Lander" crafted from a early cowling and '59 Olds rear section. It works because it was finished very nicely.

DSCN0342s_detail.JPG

DSCN0404s_detail.JPG

I think that this one would look nicer with a straight eight in it, or at least a flat head six. It looks too short in the front to me.
Neto

Latest posts

Back