Vintage auto racing

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boy those photos brought back memories. I remember going to the drag races back in the 50's with my older brother.(I was probably 8 or 9) I had forgotten all the antics that the flagman used to do. They were as much fun to watch as the cars. My brother was dragging a 48 chevy pickup, with pontiac motor and 3-2's, 3 speed corvette trans.

And yeah, they don't look a lot different than the cars that we call rat rods today. Wonder if the Hamb site would think they are traditional hot rods? I just remember the guys built their cars with what they had on hand or could swap for and they drove them as they worked on them.

Thanks for the photos. I really enjoyed the trip back in time.

Drewski

I was hanging out at a local Strip outside of St Louis starting around 65-- these shots were near Atlanta I think, in 64. It was a 'vintage' show even for them--they musta been doing a 50's thing as a special or something.

In 65--There was hand flagging in street racing, but I never saw that at the strip--always lights, and I never saw that kinda 'antique' car at the strip.

In 67-8 I occasionaly ran aganist an A roadster with a Nailhead and cheater slicks that would be considered a 'rat' today. We all thought the guy was seriously wrong. He was just faster that STINK! The only cars that came close to him were big block Vetts and 440 MoPar small cars when they had slicks.

I wonder why it took this long to catch on?? The culture went a different way.

Fun pics..

PA41

Latest posts

Back