Volare clip question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey_Pauly

I was just watching some videos on YouTube showing a guy swapping a Volare clip into a Ford F-100. I am wondering if anyone knows whether I will need to do more or less cutting on my 53 Dodge front end to make this swap work.

Thanks.

I know alot of guys used to do this, but I never really understood why. I had a low-mileage Volare in high school and besides being a total pile of s**t right off the factory line, it used to lean to one side. The way the torsion bars are set up, they do not settle/sag the same as they age. One has more leverage on it than the other (its also thicker) so eventually they will settle/sag at different rates. If you crawl underneath one you can see what I mean in how its built. The same setup was underneath the Diplomats - a cop friend of the family told a story where one of the torsion bars on his cruiser popped loose while driving...not real good.

Also the torsion bars aren't adjustable for ride height, like say a mustang II front end with coils would be. If I were you I'd look into a MII setup, or something similar (S-10, nova, camaro) with coils.

Just my 2 cents of course, even though you didn't ask :rolleyes:

Probably the same amout of work but may be hard to find one, not as plentiful as s10 or Camaro. Don't know your location but I got a 77 Camaro clip in my personal junk:D yard, you can have it free if you come get it.

I know alot of guys used to do this, but I never really understood why. I had a low-mileage Volare in high school and besides being a total pile of s**t right off the factory line, it used to lean to one side. The way the torsion bars are set up, they do not settle/sag the same as they age. One has more leverage on it than the other (its also thicker) so eventually they will settle/sag at different rates. If you crawl underneath one you can see what I mean in how its built. The same setup was underneath the Diplomats - a cop friend of the family told a story where one of the torsion bars on his cruiser popped loose while driving...not real good.

Also the torsion bars aren't adjustable for ride height, like say a mustang II front end with coils would be. If I were you I'd look into a MII setup, or something similar (S-10, nova, camaro) with coils.

Just my 2 cents of course, even though you didn't ask :rolleyes:

The Volare torsion bars are VERY adjustable for ride height, which is a big part of why they are a popular front end swap. All you need to lower/raise the ride height is a 3/4" socket. Each side adjusts independently, so uneven ride height is just as easily remedied.

I have owned several Mopar torsion bar cars. They ride great and are a breeze to adjust. I am sure it would be a fairly easy swap into your Dodge with some careful measuring and cutting. Lots of info on it out there...

The Volare torsion bars are VERY adjustable for ride height, which is a big part of why they are a popular front end swap. All you need to lower/raise the ride height is a 3/4" socket. Each side adjusts independently, so uneven ride height is just as easily remedied.

I have owned several Mopar torsion bar cars. They ride great and are a breeze to adjust. I am sure it would be a fairly easy swap into your Dodge with some careful measuring and cutting. Lots of info on it out there...

Thanks for the info guys. I am a little nervous about the measuring/cutting part as this is one thing I have never done before. Is there a clip swap that would be easier, maybe less cutting?

Thanks.

There's a first time for everything! Just measure measure MEASURE and make good cuts. The Volare swap is a faily painless one, so if you are looking for ease it's right up there. If you are not 150% confident with your welding ability then have it done by a professional. Good luck!

OK, you've convinced me. :cool:

So basically, the key is to line up the centerline of the clip with the existing wheel centerline?

OK, you've convinced me. :cool:

So basically, the key is to line up the centerline of the clip with the existing wheel centerline?

Yes. There is no clip swap that is just going to bolt in. Measure your wheel base and make sure that is what you have after you line up the new one.

The way we have done them is to jack the car up and put it on stands.

Mark the wheel base on the floor. Cut out the old and slide in the new right back into the same line. Make sure she is all nice and squre and start tackin it in. Plate it and you will be on your way.

Have a chat with Bobw here on this site. He just did a pick up swap not long ago and it came out really nice.

Great info from 35 Mastr.

I would made sure when you jack the frame and put in on jack stands that you have it level. That way if you need to do any cutting to make the clip fit it will be easy. the most important part is the the front and back mounts on the clip are level with the frame when you install it.

i have done a few on Ford and one trick i use to do is get the clip in place then bolt the front mounts to the frame and mount the fenders to make sure the wheel was centered before I would weld it in. Its a lot easier to unbolt and move it then to have to cut the welds lose.

do you have a picture of the side of the front frame rail.

Hey Paul

Paul I have a friend that bought the same front end from my yard to use on his 51 Dodge truck, but brought it back and picked up a 77 Pacer front end and he said it was almost a perfect fit. But its all about using what you got and what you can afford, I just thought I would share that info after reading this thread. I dont know how close the frames are from 51 to 53 but just wanted to give a heads up. 35 Master is full of correct ideas he gives so much good advise here that even I have taken from other threads and used it :eek:

Paul, I`ve had the opportunity to own and drive trucks with all three front suspensions and my favorite is the GM/Camaro subframe. They`re plentiful and stop, steer and ride better than the other two. The Diplomat front in my F-1 is harsh riding but it is also set at a very low ride height. The mustang II rides ok but seems a tad too light for the `48 Thriftmaster it`s under. I`m on my second set of springs in five years. My F-100 has a `80 Camaro subframe and rides and drives very nice. F-100 bodies can handle the width of the GM subframes better than the First Design Chevies so that would be my first choice.

Bill

Attachments

• BILLS PICTURES 097.jpg
    BILLS PICTURES 097.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 8
Volare clip

I have a Volare clip in my '50 Studebaker, it drives like a dream and is easy to maintain. I put a Camaro clip in my '41 Olds and a Nova in my '48 Plymouth. All work great and beat the heck out of what came back in the day. See what fits best and ask around before you start something you haven't done before. You'll be happier in the long run.

Volare clip

I have a Volare clip in my '50 Studebaker pickup, it drives like a dream and is easy to maintain. I put a Camaro clip in my '41 Olds and a Nova in my '48 Plymouth. All work great and beat the heck out of what came back in the day. See what fits best and ask around before you start something you haven't done before. You'll be happier in the long run.

Old thread but I wanted to add that I had a 36 Pontiac with a Pacer clip. It was very nice actually as it was smaller and lighter than a Camaro clip.

Now finding a Pacer clip.............good luck

Latest posts

Back