W.w.r.r.r.d.?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjjmm56

What would real rat rodders do? New member here, and I have what my friend Pete would say (a situation). I've been looking 35,36,37, ford truck around FL for about a year now but can't find anything in any shape. Everyone wants big bucks for true garbage, so I finally come across one. Perfect body with full fenders, box, two hoods with side panels, three grill shells, are ya still with me, plus a frame allready z'd. Also with the deal I get a 41 willies. 5k !! for all. Now the situation it's all fibergalss. I want to build the truck like the canada customs 37. WILL I be shuned at some of the rat shows. What would you do?

don't matter

don't matter to me, l had a 'glass 29 roadster and had just as fun in it as l did in my all steel 69 chevy truck,,,

bottom line, don't do what everyone else wants you to do or you will never be happy with whatever kind if rod ya end up with.

if the glass one is in the price range you have to work with and it's almost running, get it, finish it, & drive the heck outta it.

if not happy sell it and get something else..

oh ya, pics help [P

Later :cool:

Last edited:
You can't please everybody. You could build a cure for cancer and they'd still be somebody in the crowd that wouldn't like it or make fun of it. If you can half way please yourself you will do fine.

Last edited:
Good to see some open minds here compared to some other sites. I'm kind of leaning toward getting them.

What are you waiting for?:D I say build and drive what you like....who cares about other peoples opinions......

Gotta agree with the masses.....

Doesn't make a hill of beans what "people" think....if you think it's a good deal, (which it sounds like it is) glass or metal....could make a fun ride.....so go with your gut and make your decision.....it's all good!![P

Just like the others said.
Here's the situation:
It's your money and not theirs, [S if they want to tell you how to build it ask them foot the bill :D
Get that thing done and drive it [cl

Good to see some open minds here compared to some other sites. I'm kind of leaning toward getting them.

We don't give a flying rats rear (9", 12 bolt, Dana or any other kind) what the other sites think. We have a good time around here and most all of us are car guys (and gals) that like almost anything automotive related. You won't get lots of attitude here...on the contrary, you will get support and enthusiasim.....but just don't for get the pictures:D

When you take it to a show, put a little bucket out front of it with a sign that says "Donations for a Steel Body" - problem solved. :D

If it's worth it to you, get it!

I kinda wish I had an all glass rod, I could still drive it when they salt the roads in the winter.

This is Gastrick's coupe - it's glass and not even a rat, but highly respected on RRR. (God bless Bill)
32forme004small.jpg

I agree with everyone else....don't really see a problem. I have 4 fiberglass bodied projects stashed away, along with 4 steel bodied projects. A.D.D. at it's finest you might say...and you think you might have a problem! Do what you want, and what your comfortable with. The heck with the "nay" sayers.

It all depends WHO your building your car for......everyone else or yourself....[S I put a 6 banger in my rod and a lot of guys say " Man you should put a V8 in it" but I like it because it is different from most everyone else. and it always draws a crowd every where I go.:D

Attachments

• PICT0058.jpg
    PICT0058.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 19
I use Rustoleum Stone paint in spray cans when i want the effect (and to hide stuff).:rolleyes: It comes in 3 or 4 shades that you could apply to different areas and gives a ruff and crusty surface. An old steel dash and weathered signs inside and you and nobody else will even think about it.

Well it is yours and there are thousands upon thousands of pretty cool fiberglass bodied cars so I wouldn't worry too much if it's what you like. I kinda like my rat rods in metal but I wouldn't hesitate a minute to drive a nice fiberglass A C Cobra, or a Glen Prey boat tailed Auburn, or any pre-Stingray Corvette.
But, having said that, I don't prescribe to the being different just to be different thought or the who cares what everyone else thinks opinion. I think most of us care at some level what other people think of our rides. I know I do.

You could fake it like this guy did...

hrdp_0704_rat_01_z1937_ford_rat_rodpatinaside_view.jpg

hrdp_0704_rat_02_z1937_ford_rat_rodpatinarear_view.jpg

Hey Dr. Crank, have you seen the "before" pics of that car? it wasn't my taste, but that thing was a shiny yellow,billet and chrome street rod in its former life..

As for your glass question, if you can be happy with a glass body, so can we..personally wouldn't bother me at all to own one, especially if it was a body style that I really like.. I'd say go buy them and post pictures for us to see:D:D

Glass bodies get a bad rap because so many are really crap. Plus a lot of guys prefer the look and style of the original firewalls, drip rails and other details that are missing on many bodies.

I bought an "economy" '29 A glass body several years ago. Within a few weeks of taking it home I glassed in a plywood flood and braced the body to try to keep the door fit reasonably close and bolted it to the stock frame I was using.. This was an unreinforced, hand laid deal that needed wood and/or steel reinforcements added.

When I finally got to got to the project a few months later I found the damn thing had moved and twisted so much that the doors were almost 1 1/2" away from the 1/4 panels.

I wound up trading that body for a '40 Ford truck... good for me!

I am not opposed to using glass... I would love to have one of Jon Coffin's '34 5 window glass bodies that he was making down in Florida... but I could never afford one. The details of that body were so good you'd really have to poke around to tell if it was steel or glass.

If you aren't concerned about fit and finish almost any body will work. You just have to know what to expect.

Hey Dr. Crank, have you seen the "before" pics of that car? it wasn't my taste, but that thing was a shiny yellow,billet and chrome street rod in its former life..

No Sir, I didn't know there was a "before" version. So I looked it up and I have to agree, I prefer the "after" as well...

Latest posts

Back