Wanting a Mopar RR

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

addes426

Hi folks, I'm new and have posted in the intro section. I've long wanted a RR truck. So, I'm selling/trading my 64 Dodge to finance this brain fart. Here's a couple trucks that have my interest. Both parties are interested in my car and both trucks are mopar powered. That's a biggie for me.
The first is a 46 1/2 ton sitting on a 71 1 ton 4x2 chassis. It has a 413 and 4spd. It sits too high and it's track is too wide. Lowering should be easy enough but I think I'd have to widen the fenders to lower it and keep it like it is. But, I like the truck.
Second is a 53 1/2 ton titled as a 54. It didn't sell in 53 so it was titled as a 54 when it sold in 54. It has a 360/727 and sits on a Nova sub frame and trailing arm bow tie rear. My biggest rub with it is that it has the 7 1/2' bed option as well as the tall bed option. I don't like those options much. (In the day these trucks could have a 6 1/2', 7 1/2', or 9' bed, tall or short. (no cup holders though))
Both trucks are cool and basically drivers. Both need work to get where I'd want them. What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• 00H0H_fVyBOaarZ3o_600x450.jpg
    00H0H_fVyBOaarZ3o_600x450.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 54 long bed.jpg
    54 long bed.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 49
The '46 is a really great body style, but the '53 is closer to what you want, to start with. I guess you need to decide how much work you're willing to do and how much money you can spend making the '46 more to your liking.

The '46 is a really great body style, but the '53 is closer to what you want, to start with. I guess you need to decide how much work you're willing to do and how much money you can spend making the '46 more to your liking.

Both are cool. Each needs love to be where I'd want them. The 54 is more of a general, all around, fun, truck. The 46 I'm seeing with a nice oak flat bed, set up more as a RR work truck. It'd make a cool tow rig. It does come down to what I want most and money. I'm used to doing resto work but RRing is a little different science. It's not just junk, thrown together. A nice RR is most likely more work than a resto because it's unrelated parts made to look related and distressed. I have to be careful not to bite off too much.

I say get em both and put the 46 on the 53 frame then sell off everything you don't use lol. I think we need pics of your 64 though....

The 46 needs to be put on a different frame like a Dakota or S10, the 1 ton is just too wide a track for the early cab. The 54 looks as if it's ready to ride pretty much as is, but not as classy a body as the 46. The bed on the 54 could be sectioned and shortened to improve the looks of it.

I say don't get in a hurry, look at both, get a figure in your head what you think it will cost to get them like you want them, then double it and you will be in the ballpark. Then look some more, you might find a better deal, you might not. Only you know your abilities and your pocketbook....

I say get em both and put the 46 on the 53 frame then sell off everything you don't use lol. I think we need pics of your 64 though....

I mentioned it in the intro section, "Hi from Friendly, WV" and somebody there wanted to see too, so I posted some pics and a link. Lay an eye-ball on it.

I mentioned it in the intro section, "Hi from Friendly, WV" and somebody there wanted to see too, so I posted some pics and a link. Lay an eye-ball on it.

Well you answere my question.
I was wondering where your from. In that case, I'd say the 4x4 so you can sport it all year round!

I wouldn't sweat one truck or the other not being exactly what you want. After all, that's the definition of a rat rod! Want Cadillac tail lights? Rat rod! (Or mini truck).
Don't want to have to wash it to keep it looming cool? Rat rod!
Want an obnoxious beast to scare the neighbors and daughters boyfriend? Rat rod!

Your on the right track, and I see no brain fart here :)

pilothouse

can't go wrong sticking a pilothouse together for a rod[;)

ya don't see alot of them everwhere ya go.

l LOVE mine & get a lot of positive comments about her when we go out running around.

Later:cool:

can't go wrong sticking a pilothouse together for a rod[;)

ya don't see alot of them everwhere ya go.

l LOVE mine & get a lot of positive comments about her when we go out running around.

Later:cool:

I'm kinda on the same page about the 54. The 46 needs so much and it costs more. I have an old 90 Vette. I've been thinking an ugly old pilot house with a C4 suspension, wood be pretty sweet.

A longbed?

I've seen some good-lookin longbeds. I have a friend who has a long 56 Chevy....slammed on the ground!!! I've had many people argue with me that it is a short bed. My point is that you don't have to follow the norm. Be different. Also, consider which one gets you on the road the quickest. My 2 cents.

Lynn

I've seen some good-lookin longbeds. I have a friend who has a long 56 Chevy....slammed on the ground!!! I've had many people argue with me that it is a short bed. My point is that you don't have to follow the norm. Be different. Also, consider which one gets you on the road the quickest. My 2 cents.

Lynn

Everything points toward the 54, it's here in WV to. The 46 is in NC.

OMG.... there are no rules here. Buy both! Lower that 46 and put in a twelve valve Cummins with a bunch of smoke. Make the 54 real fast with out touching the skin.

I gotta go clean up all this drool...:rolleyes:

OMG.... there are no rules here. Buy both! Lower that 46 and put in a twelve valve Cummins with a bunch of smoke. Make the 54 real fast with out touching the skin.

I gotta go clean up all this drool...:rolleyes:

My wife doesn't see the no rules thing your way. She puts up with a lot so I try to keep her happy. :D

Latest posts

Back