Warm/hot horn relay

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmontanez

Hello all,

I noticed the other day that my horn rely on my 64 chevelle is warm/hot to the touch after the car has been off for hours, this is also my main power block. Is this normal? Nothing has gone wrong so far

does not seem right. [S
next time you finish using the car disconnect the battery and see how hot the relay feels then and also after waiting a comparable period.

If it is cold there is likely a leakage current which may lead to problems in due course.

Is it all stock wiring? if so, sounds like something is pulling in the coil, but not enough to pull the coil enough to sound the horn... I'd start looking for some damaged wiring or other short to grounds from the horn switch to the relay...

Ok so my battery is completely drained because I did not run the engine for a few days. It is a stock harness for hei, on the relay boots are the alt, starter and battery and a black and green wire under the relay in spades. All wire harness are brand new

Does the horn work normally?NO,sounds like the wire going to the horn button is touching ground.

horn.jpg

yes that is what is was, i unplugged the horn switch and the relay cooled down and battery did not drain. thankyou

Latest posts

Back