Warning About Viva Las Vegas Car Show

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cking894

I don't know if I missed something along the way but I got a rude surprise yesterday when I received an email back from Axel Shifter rejecting my truck for the Viva Las Vegas Car Show.

Here is the picture of my truck I sent them for admittance.

4394927415_5291106cc3.jpg

Here is the email response I got back from Axel as the reason I didn't get accepted.

This is a traditional Hot Rod & Custom car show. Cars like yours (post 1935 fenderless trucks) didn't exist and is more of a new fad. Sorry

I am not posting this to bash the Viva Las Vegas event. I just wasn't aware of this I thought that this was a ratrod show. I've been to the event the past three years and that's what I saw there. I am posting this so others here aren't caught with their pants on the ground like me. Our group is going to be there and we are going to have a blast but we will skip the car show on Saturday and go over to the Rat City Rukkus show instead. It will be a loss of three cool vehicles to Viva but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Keith

Better now rather than at the gate. I've got no problem with a show having rules (as long as they stick with them). It does make me wonder how they arrived at 1935?

You'll have more fun Not being in the show with a buch of lawn chair people. Don't sweat small stuff and have a good time and stay safe!!..:D

Dude... as anyone can see... that truck is a piece of junk and does not deserve to be in hte same show as real cars!!! Er... that's exactly why I love it!!! Hard to believe they wanna ditch the ratters but that's their loss. I never wanna go to shows where I'm not wanted anyway... ever! Love u're truck & just keep on truckin'!!! [cl[cl[cl

BoB

SOUNDS LIKE TO ME THEY ARE MORE AFRAID OF PEOPLE TAKING MORE TIME TO LOOK AT YOUR TRUCK THAN THEIRS! LOL!! I WAS WONDERING DOES THE AVERAGE JOE WHO GOES TO CARS SHOWS REALLY CARE ABOUT PERIOD CORRECT OR JUST THE CARS? ,
bOMBERS CAR CLUB!
UNOFFICAL OFFICAL CAR CLUB!!! RUNWHAT YA BROUNG!!!
I THINK WHAT THEY SHOULD DO IS TURN AWAY ALL TRAILER QUEENS!!!
lol!!!
TRADITIONAL CARS OF PERIOD CORRECT THEY DROVE EVERYWHERE!!
EVEN MOST OF THE DRAGRACERS!!
LOL!!!
WHAT ABOUT OUTLAWING ANY THING THAT HAS A MOTOR NEWER THAN 1942!!!lol!!!
POWER WINDOW AND RADIO 12VOLTS SYSTEMS!,
PERIOD CORRECT , WHAT A JOKE! NO WONDER KIDS LOVE RICE BURNERS , THEY CAN BE PERIOD CORRECT FOR THEIR GENERATION! lol!!
OK I AM DONE!

It seems strange to me that your truck was turned down. Never been to VIVA but seen lots of coverage and videos. More kustom, traditional and rockabilly than "ratrod". Of course "ratrod" falls into that same scene to me though. Because, without getting into a whole what is a ratrod discusion; all a ratrod really is, is a homebuilt, traditional style hotrod on a regular Joe budget. There were fenderless hot rods "back then". The legal ones had little fenders over the tires. Milners coupe in American Graffiti for example. I don't think there were many, if any, trucks though???

Ah forget them! The bunch of upity blow hards! I'm so sick of hearing about "Traditional cars" and the like. The thing about that is - every different outfit you hear of has their own definition of what that is??? Your's is traditional to me. A traditional rat rod if I ever saw one! Your truck is way cool cking894! Go enjoy the Ruckus and leave them to their stupid politics.

Thunder

SOUNDS LIKE TO ME THEY ARE MORE AFRAID OF PEOPLE TAKING MORE TIME TO LOOK AT YOUR TRUCK THAN THEIRS! LOL!! I WAS WONDERING DOES THE AVERAGE JOE WHO GOES TO CARS SHOWS REALLY CARE ABOUT PERIOD CORRECT OR JUST THE CARS? ,
bOMBERS CAR CLUB!
UNOFFICAL OFFICAL CAR CLUB!!! RUNWHAT YA BROUNG!!!
I THINK WHAT THEY SHOULD DO IS TURN AWAY ALL TRAILER QUEENS!!!
lol!!!
TRADITIONAL CARS OF PERIOD CORRECT THEY DROVE EVERYWHERE!!
EVEN MOST OF THE DRAGRACERS!!
LOL!!!
WHAT ABOUT OUTLAWING ANY THING THAT HAS A MOTOR NEWER THAN 1942!!!lol!!!
POWER WINDOW AND RADIO 12VOLTS SYSTEMS!,
PERIOD CORRECT , WHAT A JOKE! NO WONDER KIDS LOVE RICE BURNERS , THEY CAN BE PERIOD CORRECT FOR THEIR GENERATION! lol!!
OK I AM DONE!

I drive a 98 Civic which has a radio and is no rice burner... Its actually disappointing to see someone into this type of car building have such a closed mind...

I HATE shows that have rules like that, a show they have every year in MN did this last year with a bunch of rules and guess what NOBODY SHOWED UP! haha that'll teach em. I have done my own shows/cruises and I say no rules! I WANT to see the different stuff people come up with, i dont want to see a bunch of clones!

I just looked at last years viva las vegas show pics, looks to me like there were trucks just like yours,plus 60th trucks and vantruck thingy, etc.
I thought it was a rat rod show, was planning on going there someday, guess I was wrong and I wont go either!!!!!

i drive a 98 civic which has a radio and is no rice burner... Its actually disappointing to see someone into this type of car building have such a closed mind...

what i was saying! Is it a shame there has to be all this stuff about period correct cars! I was making fun of all the rules the organinations have, and that it no wonder kids today are not interest in the old stuff cause most of the people just put them down will their rules! I think its stupid to have rules that do not encourage young folks to be more intersted in old stuff!the rat rod thing is a good place for a kid to start learning about the rusty stuff, but i cant blame them for not wanting to have anything to do with it when, people do people like like what was told about his truck! I doNT personal like the rice burner for myself, but i know a few guys who have some sharp and fast cars!
I was in no way being closed minded about the subject!
Just saying, people can be jerks when they have power, why would anyone want to be aprt of that!
Like my friend was told, that he couldnt part his car next to a boyd cottington car cause it was a ratty piece of crap and was asked to leave the show! How close mind is that!

If they dont like your car.......F*** EM'

Dont get me wrong I like traditonal hot rods. They are a part of hot rod history and will always have there part and following with car guys.

As for myself I will never build or own one. Im not all about spending time and money to hunt down the "correct" parts to build one. Just to fit in at the show and lose my car in the crowd. I hate going to a show and seeing the same cars all day.

I like to make my own parts. And I like to have fun with what I make and give it my own style. Not what "they" tell me to build. I will never pass up a car at a show that is differant no matter if i like it or not.

I hate car shows that i have to be approved to get into. I like to see a mix of everything. some times I get the best ideas from cars I dont even like.

Your truck is awsome and i would love to share a spot next to you at any show. In fact I think 39-46 chevy trucks when done right look better then any model a truck. thats why i bought a 39'.

my 2 cents.

Thanks, Bonehead. We are going to do all the fun stuff at Viva but will go over to the Ratcity Rukkus show on Saturday. The thing is the trip there and back will be half the fun. We will be driving 1300 miles round trip in our trucks so it should be a blast.

Keith

I am glad you told us about it.

I tried to go to that show last year and get a booth. They would not let us in because they did not like our pin-ups. They said it was a family event and that we were not thier kind of people. So they do it to car guys also. I am sorry. I would love to put a picture of you Rod in our next magazine. [cl

Sounds like one of those shows for guys who spend $15,000 on a crate engine that never runs because they haul the candy coated car around on a trailer.

I tried to go to that show last year and get a booth. They would not let us in because they did not like our pin-ups. They said it was a family event and that we were not their kind of people. So they do it to car guys also. I am sorry. I would love to put a picture of you Rod in our next magazine. [cl

So apparently the 'Burlesque Show' is so much more 'family friendly'?

Still don't quite get the 'rat rods' are OK, but post 1934 open wheel vehicles are not? Apparently no truck cabs - not fashionable enough.

Then again, I don't really care - I do this stuff for fun, not recognition....

yeh and thats why they are not allowed on this site. We have rules and that is there are no rules and they have rules that is you cant make it yourself! MFG PARTS ONLY. Thats what we should call them MFGs. Could be our lil code. LOL LOL LOL

Latest posts

Back