was tuning my carb

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

59imp

in the wagon the other day, was trying to get rid of an off-idle bog

DSC091681_zps3ee3bfcc.jpg

DSC091641_zps09ee12b3.jpg

i rolled into it a couple times, then i gave it a little shot in first and bang i was free-wheelin'. gotter home on the hook and found out i had bendy axles, and one was i lil short.

DSC096422_zps6533111c.jpg

the broken axle was twisted more than an inch!!

i found the other piece in the pumpkin

DSC096321_zps71a1b2a9.jpg

the broken axle was really stuck too. i had to put a 16 lbs hammer-head on my slide hammer and pounded the **** outta it to get it out.... i never seen one so stuck before..

stupid Dodge junk....

time for some upgrades....

DSC09107.jpg

Well, no wonder, look at those big tires you are running ! :D:D

I uses to paint a white stripe down the splines of the axle and pull them occasionally to see if the axles were twisting. It is amazing how far those things will twist without snapping.

Nice looking car BTW.

Don

You cant pay for axles with play money. Just kidding and your car looks awesome. What powers your wagon and do you have any time slips to brag about? When I started running slicks at the track I bought Moser 31 spline and so far no problems.

Did you hit the lotto??

Twoney, Looney....looney twoney heck the exchange rate is nearly even steven.....I'm sure it's nothing that Currie, Strange or DTS can't help you with.....Wow....those meats must hook up pretty good.....was that the first time you ever got into it?? What was the diff out of and how long had it been on the road before you used it? Nice ride though.....too bad about the snap crackle and pop..... :eek: I hate when that happens.....

ok so i bought the car as a runner back in March, had a mild 327 with a 100 shot No2, turbo 350 with a brake, and a dodge 8 3/4 with a 4.56 posi. after a couple weeks the tranny **** itself apart so i installed another turbo 350 without a brake, i also put in and mild 350 engine i had around the shop and i took off the nitrous. i've been racing it 1/8 mile turning 7.35 @ 95 mph. had it on the 1/4 mile once this year and it ran 11.55 @ 120 mph. the car is 3000 lbs with me in it.

i only foot-brake when i launch and i leave @ 2000 rpm so i think the damage to the axles has just been progressive over time......

i'll through some better axles in it, try to get rid of the bog and make a run for the Tens!!!

That is where I am at with my 27. When I ran it at the BP drags traction was non existant through 1st and most of second, using old school 8 inch Firestone dragster slicks. I am tempted to go with a good set of drag radials, but the 9 incher I have is a 4.30 Trackloc but only with 28 spline axles. I have abused the same ones for 24 years and I think I would be playing with fire to put any stickier tires on the car.

That, and I am not running a blowproof bellhousing and I want to keep all 10 toes for a while longer. :eek:

The problem with any car you race or beat on is that when you bump up one thing it makes something else the weak link, and it takes a lot of money to put all the right stuff in so you don't have those issues.

What is the old saying ? "Speed costs money........how fast do you want to go ?" :D

Don

Don you are correct about finding and replacing the weak link. When I took my 72 truck off the street to drag race I had to re-buy everything including Ignition, trans, fuel system, tires, wheels, exhaust, and a new 800hp nitrous ready engine.

Latest posts

Back