Watts link. Will this work?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaddyT

I was thinking of fabricating a watts link center bracket to mount off the pinion bolts. Has anyone ever seen this done?

I've never seen it done off the front either, but I guess the center pivot wouldn't care where it is, if you think about it. The only thing is that the driveshaft yoke might interfere with the lowest portion of the pivot.

Anything is possible though.

Don

Rainman, I was mocking up a panhard bar that bolts up to the pinion bolts when the idea of a Watts link popped up in my head. Due to the wheelbase my axle centerline falls directly under the rear cross member which would make it difficult to weld anything on the housing.(Travel clearence issues.)

Don, I thought about that lower pivot point as well. My concerne was how tall could I make the center bracket to accomodate the pivot.

Thought about switching the coil springs to a transverse leaf spring system and be done with it, but I'm fighting that idea.

Last edited:
Another route to consider is a panhard bar as opposed to a watts linkage. Yeah, I know everyone says watts are so superior, but there are a bazillion cars running around with panhards on the back and they do just fine (two of them are in our shop.........my Son's rpu and my other Son's T bucket)

With the little up and down movement our hot rods actually have on bumps it really doesn't translate into much side to side movement at all, if any.

Just another thought.

Don

Yeah, I better stick to the original plan.

Don, it's 3am over there. Still wrapping X-mas presents? Thanks for the input.

Rainman, I was mocking up a panhard bar that bolts up to the pinion bolts when the idea of a Watts link popped up in my head. Due to the wheelbase my axle centerline falls directly under the rear cross member which would make it difficult to weld anything on the housing.(Travel clearence issues.)

Don, I thought about that lower pivot point as well. My concerne was how tall could I make the center bracket to accomodate the pivot.

Thought about switching the coil springs to a transverse leaf spring system and be done with it, but I'm fighting that idea.

A watts doesn't have to mount above the rear, (centerline)!!
You can mount it in the rear at a lower point! In fact most are!!
But I may not be understanding what you are saying! It seems the only thing that would keep you from putting it in the back would be not wanting to clutter up behind the rear!!
Depending on what rear you are using you could make the bracket come around the rear pan with enough room to remove the pan, or make the watts bracket itself removable!! Just a couple thoughts!!
But I'm with Don Panhard bar is fine, if you keep the bar level as possible at ride heigth you get little to no movement!! Remember a panhard bar doesn't have to be streight, J-bar works just as well!! Thats what my truck has!!

After rereading you're post, it sounds like a J-bar would be the answer for you!!

There is one late model car I know that runs a watts set up in the front, but its a front wheel drive car!! PT Cruiser's use a watts, with the streight axle!!
For any who might be interested, it looks like it could be addapted to what we do!!
I think the year I was looking at was about 03, 04 right in there!

Can't hardly beat a straight or J style panhard bar for simplicity and ease of installation. A rule of thumb here is the longer the better.
On the other hand if you're goin for eye appeal, then your imagination is all that's the limit :)

I'm building a Model A sedan and there isn't alot of room in the behind the rear axle. The J-bar may be a possibility, I was looking at a couple from Speedway. My frame is a bit narrow at 28" outside measurement. I may have to trim one up. It would also help clear the radius rods.

Latest posts

Back