Weber Carbs on an Inline six??? Can somebody explain?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunder1

At the risk of coming off as a total idiot, can you guys explain the use of Weber carbs on an inline six? I've seen them used on some really nice engines and obviously they are really cool but all I've ever found online about them is for motorcycle applications. What's the deal with adapting or using them on an inline six automotive engine? Basically, I've never been able to find anything detailing parts or installation on an automotive application. Any sources of information I don't know about? I'd appreciate your input please?

The 31 Ford in this Youtube video is badass! :cool: I've never been able to find any other information about this car either. It's a mystery car. Are the carbs even Webers?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCgI6pJvG8g&feature=related

Thanks

Thunder1

Last edited:
Webers come in two types, downdraft and side draft.

Downdraft are common on hipo aircooled VWs.

Definitely not cheap. I think they are in the $600 each range.
And you would need 3, plus linkage, filters, etc.

Webers made their reputation on the old made in Italy carbs.
Production was moved to Spain,then somewhere else.
Quality dropped with every move.

Megasquirt EFI would be my first choice, with motorcycle throttle bodies.

Well, not sure what your question is exactly, but I don't know anyway. Made me think, I've been kicking around the idea of dropping my old I6 in my Olds, this might be a way to go.

Isn't all you really need the manifolds to match up to carb and block? Seems the rest would fall into place fairly easily. Can't run progressive, so you'd have to tune the carbs well, but I'd think it would be a straight forward install after the manifolds. Am I missing something big? You have piqued my curiosity though. I guess too much CFM would be a big concern at the low end.

Sorry, if I started to jack your thread with my rambling....

So what's the basic info you've gathered about these set ups? What motor are you thinking of using?

Check carbs unlimited tons of info on Weber carbs. Easy to tune. I have a three weber set up for my slant six. All you need is the carbs(not cheap) and a manifold. I had to wait over a year for my manifold, they hadn't been made for over 20yrs when I ordered mine.

www.carbsunlimited.com

Well, not sure what your question is exactly, but I don't know anyway. Made me think, I've been kicking around the idea of dropping my old I6 in my Olds, this might be a way to go.

Isn't all you really need the manifolds to match up to carb and block? Seems the rest would fall into place fairly easily. Can't run progressive, so you'd have to tune the carbs well, but I'd think it would be a straight forward install after the manifolds. Am I missing something big? You have piqued my curiosity though. I guess too much CFM would be a big concern at the low end.

Sorry, if I started to jack your thread with my rambling....

So what's the basic info you've gathered about these set ups? What motor are you thinking of using?

Thanks guys! Sam Fear, your not jacking the thread. I appreciate any info. Basically, I'm just curious about Weber carbs and anything relative to their use, parts availability, etc... I like how they look and apparently they are a descent performance addition to an inline six. I'm toying with the idea of some sort of inline six for my 51 Ford F-1 rat pickup project. Probably a Chevy. I had heard that Webers were high dollar before. Probably way more than I can afford but just learning about them is cool too. You never know, I might someday be able to use some on my truck and knowing a little about them would be valuable information to have.

Thunder1

About 500$ for 2 when I looked on Ebay. Way outta my range. Did find this gem though: Side Draft Carb

I've got a 300 I6 that I may use as my motor if nothing else pops up. Someday I'd like to turbo that sucker - I hear they are real axle twisters that way. Lotta torque. Guess I'll have to forget about side drafts unless I can find a steal.

At one time we ran a modified with a GMC I6. We used side draught solex carbs. You should be able to come up with those on the cheap. It wouldn't be that hard to fab up a manifold and linkage.

Webers definitely look cool but tuning them is another thing. Friend of mine ran them on his Camaro. If he tuned them for the street, it ran terrible at the track (lean). If he tuned them for the track, it ran too rich on the street. Finally went with a 4 barrel Holley and got the best of both worlds. The Camaro was a street/strip car.

I've got a 600 Holley on the six in my Camaro, runs great. Bought 2 Harley carbs to run on the chevy II 4cyl going in my T. Will have to make the manifold, but already have the flanges made. Saw this setup on a couple cars in magazines. Would probably need 3 for a six though. You can get them cheap on Ebay, I did, parts are easy to come by also

Here ya go http://www.webcon.co.uk/

There are some inline 6 kits listed there. All info You need on webers.
They are widely used here where I am. When building a classic car, webers are the top choice and alot of the cars have them.

Thanks for all information. This has been a real education for me. It's great that you guys posted all this here. It needed to be made available. Hopefully, it'll help others who have Weber questions in the future too. After looking at all this, there's no way I can afford to go with the Webers. Especially in the case of my 51. Staying LOW BUDGET is the key in making it happen in the first place for me. Now I know why!

Thunder1

I'm going to start keeping my eye open for deals on any sidedrafts. I suppose, if you used a built a log manifold instead of using individuals, you could use a progressive set up and would solve several problems at once. May not have the best fuel dispersion, but you could use 2 different carb types and would have the better idle without starving at the high end.

There is also a Holley Weber 2bbl progressive carb that might work nice on a 2 X1 Offy manifold set up. It would be like running on 2 1 barrels until it was full throttle and then a 4 barrel. Check Landon's

http://www.stoveboltengineco.com/acartpro/index.asp

I am running the Carter/Webber 2bbl progressives on an Offy manifold from Langdon's on my 218 Mopar flathead. Looks and runs great. From what I have been able to determine the 2 primaries together are actually about the same cfm as the stock 1bbl that came on the engine. Also added cast iron headers to let that side of things breath better also.

270928698_5tPNn-M-1.jpg

And a short video of it running.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxfKQ4KMM9s

I am running the Carter/Webber 2bbl progressives on an Offy manifold from Langdon's on my 218 Mopar flathead. Looks and runs great. From what I have been able to determine the 2 primaries together are actually about the same cfm as the stock 1bbl that came on the engine. Also added cast iron headers to let that side of things breath better also.

Wow that's nice. Boy that runs so smooth, like a "Swiss Watch"!

Very Nice !!!

Looks and sounds great!! Nice job :cool: '22

Latest posts

Back