Weird thing happened last night.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should be dead.
74 RD 350 with a port job and pipes almost crashed with a girl on the back.(17 yrs old)
75 Kawasaki 500 triple cyl. 2 stroke. Did crash, hit a tree going about 60. Was going 90. The wide case of that triple cylinder saved me. I only broke my collar bone.(19 yrs.old)
83 Suzuki GS 750 ES w/ carbs, cams, pipes and a 165 mph sprocket. Almost crashed a few times. Went 148 mph on Hwy 1 in Northern California once. Sold it about a week after my son was born in 1994. (35 yrs. old)
Now days all I ride is an old 1974 Kawasaki Trials bike in the woods. It'll go about 40 mph down hill. I won't ride on the street. (53 yrs.old)
I don't think crotch rockets should be ridden by more than half the people that have them. But what are you going to do? Gives a different meaning to "live free or die" right.

While I was scanning the internet for more info on that bike crash I came across another one. A guy on a Harley was sitting at a light and a drunk smashed into the back of his bike. He is in serious but stable condition in the hospital.

THe highways are just nuts any more. :(

Don

Wrecks are bad on motorcycles and some people seem to look for it when they ride like idiots. I have been riding Harleys for 48 years, I have gone down twice because of stupid drivers in cars, thankfully only minor injuries. People will pull out right in front of you while making eye contact with you! I have rode with one rule all my life...EVERYONE ON THE ROAD IS TRYING TO KILL ME!! It has worked for me and many of my long time riding friends.

We use that same rule when we are in our roadsters, we look at it as if every car is potentially going to do something stupid and nail us. I have said this before, but when I am out cruising with my Sons in their hot rods I always am the last car in line. I figure if some idiot is on their cell phone and plows into us I prefer that I take the hit, it is just a Dad thing.

Don

kid at one dealership I worked at boought himself a new R1 (5 years ago) he turned in the parking lot at the front of the building, went off the embankment at the end of the dealership (225' long?) hit a tree and died. He was wearing a helmet and full leathers. accident reconstruction said he was doing at least 60 mph when he hit the tree. said 2 days before the bike scared him. I have been riding bikes since I was 9 years old and still look for the person who is going to get me.

I've been riding for 35 years on the street. I ride with a sense of responsibility to myself and to my family who are counting on me. I received advice from an older biker that stuck in my head all these years...."Ride like everyone is out to get ya"! Words to live by. When you think you have motorcycling mastered that's when you're going down......cr

Yup, all the nutcases on the road around here is on of the reasons I sold my Harley last year. I live on a corner, and every day I watch people run the stop sign.

been riding since i was 12,i'm now 48, both in the woods and on the street, 2 accidents. both my fault. alcohol was involved. i have well over 200,000 miles on the street . i've done many a dumb thing when i was younger. i never trust anyone. i ride like people can't see me and don't care about me, can't or won't use directionals properly, have no idea who has the right of way. i drive truck in the same manner. i guess what i'm trying to say is it's not the motorcycle that is unsafe, it can be the operator and or the drivers around them. we all need to pay attention to the job at hand. driving safely.

Just handled a MC car crash yesterday...

Full dress harley, beautiful bike....lady pulled out of Toco Bell right in front of him.....he went over the bars, across the hood and landed on the road the other side of the car.....got up, dusted himself off and took off his helmet before checking his leathers for tears and such...no injury, Bike however was embedded into the front fender of the Jeep Cherokee.....the tire,wheel and forks were pushed to the front frame rails....his leathers got scuffed and his helmet needs replacing....moral of the story.....wear helmets and leathers....no helmet and blue jean shorts won't cut it.....JMHO

By the way....

He was doing about 30mph when he hit her...road is 40 posted but he slowed cause he knew she was not going to stop....problem is neither did he till he hit the car.....

And of course she said...."I didn't see him!" How can you miss a 200 lb guy on a 500lb bike? I was driving my wifes van yesterday when I saw a car going too fast for the shopping center exit and its stop sign before you cross the FOUR LANE highway. I figured she wasn't gonna slow down or stop and I was correct in that assumption. Slammed on moms brakes while the woman in the car cruised right in front of me. Never gave it a thought that you may want to stop before crossing a majorhighway. Fortunately I was the only one on it at that moment. This gives further value to my other post that you need to ride and drive like everyones out to get ya! I don't know what would be worse....being injured by the woman running the stop sign or wrecking moms van!:D

Only read the first page (always in a hurry).

I sold my "crotch rocket" YEARS ago when I finally matured enough to realize that I was putting myself at risk everyday on it. Driving it too fast, running from cops, being an idiot.
It took one of my best friends getting killed on his (while running) to see where I was heading with it. I have not been on a bike since (maybe 17 years).
While I do miss the ride, I'm older and wiser now. I would not mind having an old Triumph to cruise the Smoky parkway on, but I have SO many priorities in front of that (like a wife and kids), I understand it may never happen, and that's fine.
Lord bless the family that has to deal with the loss, but also happy noone else was involved.

Latest posts

Back