welder issues

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

70_boosted

So im having issues with my welder...its a hobart 125. its not the biggest or baddest but doin just fine for me. anyways...im havin issues layin down a continius bead. metal is grinded and i have a clean connection with the clamps...it just keeps popping and wont leave a solid bead...any ideas?

Flux core or solid wire and gas? Wire feed speed set properly. Wire pinch rollers (feed rollers) the proper size and tension. Is this a new welder, or has it been working ok before and just started to act up? Is the base metal steel that has had a coating ground off? (Such as galvanize, cadmium, aluminum coated exhaust, and so on) Was the grinding disc used on anything like those metals before it was used on steel. (It can transfer the softer metals now imbedded in the disc to the base metal and drive you nuts trying to figure out what happened when everything was ok just before.) If all else fails, check the manual for the set up settings and tweek it from there.

Its not gas fixed right now but has the option for the set up. so im running flux core right now. and the welder runs a dial set that controls temp and speed together. settings are just fine for what im running. grinded with a disc that may be contaminated. welding and grinding on only mild steel.

so not a clue so far. will most likely change out the clamp for a new one. change the tip and cup. wire is pretty much brand new...but checked for binding already and clear there...so tinker some more and find out

so i tinkered around with some different ordeals. i changed my tip, pulled the ground clamp and wire brushed the connection then reassembled. i then cleaned the metal some, and tried welding again. a nice short bead for about 2" then back to sputtering and popping. so i took it back into the garage. checked the pressure settings again(good still) and tried welding on my motor mounts inside...good!

come to find out, i think my extension cord is bad or wearing out. used the ext cord for almost 2 yrs with no issues on the welder but as soon as i pull the welder off the cord and plug straight into the wall, its grand and works again; till i ran out of wire.

yeah its not a good idea to use a normal extension cord you need something heavy duty but you cant have it very long or the welder will not do right.

good luck on the welding and get a gas welder if you can afford it the weld will look so much better and less time cleaning also. [;)[cl

it was a heavy duty cord, but i think its a bit older and has unfortunately been worn out for welding purposes. works great with the grinder etc still.

i will look into a gas welder eventually when i can afford the extra $$ for such

Welders, even though it might be rated for 110, doesn't mean you can use a extension cord on it. If it needs the cord to reach your work.....you'll need to be about 25' max and be 8-2w/ground.

As far as your troubles....
1. Make sure your rollers aren't slipping.
2. Make sure your liner is in good shape and matches your wire. You guys know what I'm talking about.
3. Make sure you got the right sized tip for the wire, and also check ad make sure everything is cleaned.
4. Once you've checked everything and you still can't get no satisfaction....blow her out and clean everything again. Make sure the fan is running....if it isn't.....it will overheat and shut down.

Oooops, sorry....just reread your posting....saw where you found the problem....
For good cheap welders....look on craigs list and the pawn shops.....Happy welding....

flux core??

If your using flux core did you reverse the polarity???
when swapping between normal mig and flux core you must reverse them.
My miller has the termainals located just above the feed roller to make it easy to swap.

have fun
Tom

my welder is actually hammering away pretty nicely now, got a better ext cord, and cleaned up and replaced some of the expendable pieces...

indeed, i figured it was overall something small and ridiculously overlooked.

i just bought i heavy duty cord, which i can use no matter what and when i need to weld, i run in short bursts at a long distance from the main outlet and it works great.

Latest posts

Back