Welding and pacemakers

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lightning

Don't know if this is the correct section and I did a search and got ZIP. But with all the fabrication and welding that everyone does, I thought it might be a good discussion on safety and such. How many members have a pacemaker or I.C.D. and continue to weld,either stick,mig or tig ? I am a certified mig.tig welder and have been for over 40 yrs. but had a I.C.D. implanted 3 yrs. ago and had to stop welding all together, except for O/A. This subject has been covered on another forum[the big H] but in the interest of safety I thought it should be talked about here. What are your thoughts on this?

I don't know much about it but have read somewhere that welding is a no-no for people with pacemakers. I think it is probably not worth the risk.

I thought you would be the first to answer - - - Really like you work and NO, it is not worth the risk! I have worked for some of the major after market manufactures for Harley parts for quite a few yrs and I really like to weld and what you can do with it, but I've had mine re-programed by the EMF's from a tig unit and by a alternator on my motorhome. It's really a drag not doing what I have done for so many yrs. - but - I think it would be a real drag being DEAD at least I can have the welding done by some of my good brothers.

I don't know the answer but I can't imagine how it would be very safe! I'm sure any type of welding machine emits pulses that would interfere with a pacemaker. I'm sure the companies have a recommendation!

Beercan

RBC - It's not only welding machines,but any electrical motor that has high EMF's, this could be a magneto,alternator any electrical device the generates power. The last company that I worked for before getting mine, used to make large generators for gas stations,offices,hospitals any place that needed emergency power in case of a failure. Needless to say ,not only the welding was out but there wasen't any department without high EMF interference[we test ran the gens in shop] I could transfer to except the office - Yeah right - long haired, bearded, biker - not my cup of tea - Ha Ha Heck, they even say a cell phone should be used on the opposit side of the ICD[right side]

Welding and pacemakers.Check it out.

Check out the April issue of Street Rodder.Its listed in the Q and A section.Seems a guy does it using lead vest,the kind used for x-rays.Theres more about it.Seeems if you contact the company who made it,they have answers that can help you.

Latest posts

Back