what about a datsun?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My '53 Willys sits on a '76 Chevy Luv frame which I believe is identical to the same era Datsun frames. The Luv frame is fully boxed, has a round tubular cross member that the rear shocks mount on, torsion bar front suspension and front disc brakes. A very nice little chassis in my opinion. When I first started the swap (which consists of a 350/350 combo) I purchased a bolt in V-8 kit for the Luv but found that while it worked for the Luv it didn't locate the engine where I needed it for my Willys cab. So I ended up making my own motor mounts and the transmission mount ended up on an existing cross member. The Willys cab and front end are about a foot longer than the Luv stuff was so it left about a five foot bed with the rear wheels centered on the bed. Worked out very well for my project. I'll try to get a couple pics of my frame and see if it looks like the Datsun.

Fenders or no fenders? It will work but depending on what you want to build one way may work better than the other.

My rod sits on a Ford courier frame made by Mazda.I considered a luv but the torsion bars looked like they might be in the way and had ugly A arms.With fenders you can use about anything, but open be careful its hard to make them look good.

Not a datsun...

I helped a friend set a 40 Ford 2 door sedan on a 79 Toyota 2wd frame for a rough mock up. The dimensions were very close to what the sedan was, width, length, wb... it fit very nice. Uses 4 on 4.5" bolt pattern, many different suspension parts available, as well as several swap kits.

LRR

From a suspension techs point of view the Datsun front end is pretty rubbish, if you intend to run the front really low the front will go into extreme positive camber which, because of the way they were built (arm is mounted to the outside of the suspension upright), is only fixable by major surgery. I am using Mitsubishi pickup chassis (coil sprung front) under my 22 buick, only because I paid $90 for it rolling. Toyota hilux 2wd are good, but the rails are very narrow and tend to run into issues with the torsions, cannot give an honest opinion on S10 as we dont have them here in New Zealand....

LUVs were built by Datsun and imported and sold by Chevrolet. Most used Isuzu motors. I puy a 350 and powerglide in one and raced it from 1996 til 98. I liked the frame and suspension/steering but the frame may be too small for a 40 Ford. You didn't say if yours was a car or truck, fenders or no, but compare the wheel base and width of the frame before you go much further.

Attachments

• scan0010 (Small).jpg
    scan0010 (Small).jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 16

Latest posts

Back