What Did Ya Get Done This Weekend?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spent last week in Alabama working but found time to go auto hunting. Found a few neat trucks that i hope to get home soon.
Saturday when i got home i called about a 454 that was listed on Craigs list. The engine looked good and spun freely wearing a set of 1974 oval port heads. I bought the engine for $300. Got home and found the block to be a 1979 with a forged crank that i hope is still good. For the money i dont think i could possibly go wrong.

No, you did good on that bbc. Any bbc is worth that kind of money all day long.

We went to bed at 3 am Friday , finally fell asleep about 4 am. Got up at 8 and drove 250 miles to Billetproof in Ocala. Took an hour nap then went to dinner. Sat in the hotel parking lot until after two then got up at 7 to go to BP. Left at about 4 pm and got home about 9 last night. Ate a Big Mac and went to bed almost immediately, slept until 10 today.

I absolutely feel like a truck hit me and then put it in reverse. :eek: I am sunburned and beat up from the long ride. My plan is to have my rpu project done by next year as it will have highway friendly gears and a more tame engine...........that, or I may rent a trailer and haul it there.

Don

No, you did good on that bbc. Any bbc is worth that kind of money all day long.

We went to bed at 3 am Friday , finally fell asleep about 4 am. Got up at 8 and drove 250 miles to Billetproof in Ocala. Took an hour nap then went to dinner. Sat in the hotel parking lot until after two then got up at 7 to go to BP. Left at about 4 pm and got home about 9 last night. Ate a Big Mac and went to bed almost immediately, slept until 10 today.

I absolutely feel like a truck hit me and then put it in reverse. :eek: I am sunburned and beat up from the long ride. My plan is to have my rpu project done by next year as it will have highway friendly gears and a more tame engine...........that, or I may rent a trailer and haul it there.

Don

I was hungry as hell when we got home so went and got some awesome Chinese take-out and stuffed myself. Managed to stay awake 'til about 11 and crashed. Slept like a rock, got up at 9 and washed the bugs off the hotrod and am ready to go again. Not to rub it in but, we had the windows open coming up but cranked the AC for the trip home. That's why I have a coupe.:D

Nice, Mike. Kick a worn out old man when he is down ! :D:D Next you will be saying you have a stereo in there too. I had to sing to myself all the way home and swallowing those bugs on the high notes is no fun, let me tell you. :eek:

Don

Don i am really pleased to get this engine. My 72 truck has been engine less for a few years. I am selling my boat that has a small 177 supercharger but i am keeping the supercharger to put on this engine to power my truck. Not crazy power but enough to embarrass the import kids. I also found this Studebaker truck that i can get for nearly nothing. I dont need it and it is not my favorite vehicle but it is ugly cool. The same guy has an old falling down barn that has an old barbers chair that i hope to rescue.

Attachments

• house 015.jpg
    house 015.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 16
  • house 014.jpg
    house 014.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 17
Got a chrome one wire alternator from Skip White/ebay to replace the noisey 3 wire unit. Then came the dilema, what to do with the extra wires? So I flipped a coin, "heads" I roll up the wires and tuck em away or "tails", I cut em off. Well it came up heads so I flipped again, and again but the third time it came up "tails".[cl Musta been fate??..:D
That blows the hot rod budget for the month!

Attachments

• rat rods rul 007 (Small).jpg
    rat rods rul 007 (Small).jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 12
Yesterday while Dan was cleaning up his Sanderson headers to list them on Ebay (now that he built the new ones he doesn't need them), I was cleaning the shop. Then he pitched in and we got it about 70% done. Looks much better and we found parts I even forgot I had bought for my rpu project. I guess I went on a buying spree because there are a lot of Speedway boxes with all kinds of neat parts inside. :D Good thing I found them because I probably would have ordered the same parts again.

Now we have some room to move in there and a few more days will get it really clean again.

Don

Last couple of days I've been cleanin' up the small stuff like grease fittings, shifter boot, & bobbin' the bed. Got both sides done now & waiting on some new road gears for my quick change for the trip to Austin in 3 weeks for Lonestar Round Up! Been tryin' to make it with this truck for at least 3 years!

BoB

Today my Son Don and I drove to a swap meet at the Muscle Car Museum in Punta Gorda, Fl. They hold it once a month and it is free to the vendors, so there can be some deals there. It was rainy this morning, which kept the attendance a little low, but there were still a lot of people buying and selling stuff.

One man had a bunch of Mr. Gasket stuff marked pretty cheap and under his table was a brand new box with a Mr. Gasket 3 speed shifter in it. He had $15 on the box but I asked what his best price was and he said $6 ! :eek: I expected him to say maybe $10 or $12. I have a Chevy 3 speed transmission at the shop that used to have a brand new Hurst on it, but I sold that a while back, so this shifter will fit that transmission pretty well.

Also bought two semi ratty rear view mirrors that I will probably use on my rpu project, and Don bought a shop vac, a spring compressor, and a couple of new Mr Gasket parts like fuel pressure gauges, thermostats, etc.

We have some nice two door and four door 49 Ford doors, a trunk lid, and a couple of flathead motors that I might load up and take there next month, just to see what happens. All I will have in it will be the gas to get there since the setup spot is free.

Don

I was able to get the 63 falcon out of the garage and down the road for a quick test drive, had the new head done on the 170 and also started working on the wife's sporster she sure wants that running for April.
Have to get her off my back before I can dive int the 46 PU rat build.:p

C Notch, Steering Column, speedo, radio, front wheel bearings, Idler Arm and a few other things on my Wifes 65 Ford so she can drive it to work and back ( and wherever else she wants to)........ I guess after 6 years of a dailer driver it needed some work.....the Racing Disks were part of her Birthday present.......I Love my Wife

Attachments

• Photo03221833.jpg
    Photo03221833.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 15
Billy your truck is looking good.
I finally removed the super charger from my boat so i can sell the boat. Now i can install the super charger on my recently purchased 454 and put it in my 72 Chevy truck. The truck was a drag race only vehicle but is returning to the streets. No one should notice the roll cage, 6" cowl hood or 5" exhaust.

Got a few of the othe parts I needed to get sprayed well I finally got them sprayed this weekend :) And I got my rear fenders installed as well!!!!

Latest posts

Back