What Did Ya Get Done This Weekend?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing at all....at least auto related....

Oldest son and daughter in law and the kids finally were able to find a place and we moved them into the house over the weekend......place sure seems quite without my granddaughter and grandson......almost erie!!! 5 + years that they have been in the downstairs....now I've got an apartment to go to when the wife is upset....:D

Made a rear sway bar for my 62 Impala. I have a 2000 Z-28 rear end that is not being used so I cut the ends off and made a plate to attach them to the trailing arm. I have seen after market ones that cost a few hundred $$$. Mine cost about $15 and I can say I made it myself. Might start a build thread to show everyone my projects and get comments on what I am doing right or wrong.

Friday morning I got up early to meet the glass guys who were coming to the shop to remove the windshield from my Son Don's Capri. Now that it is out we can start building the roll cage. Then in the afternoon Dan and I started working on the steering box mounts for my rpu project. By the end of the day we had the frame notched and the half round cover plate built.

On Saturday both of my Sons had gigs so I was on my own. I decided to try to get the steering box mounting further along so that was my project. Didn't realize it would take so long. I started at 4 pm and wrapped up after 3 am.

I didn't think it was that late, but at 3 am Dan pulled up to the shop when he got home from playing and was all paniced out. When he got home he saw I was gone and tried to call me, but my phone was in the office at the shop and I didn't hear it. He was worried something had happened to me.:D Guess he really DOES love me. :D

Anyway, here is a picture of where I ended up last night.

myrpumoreworkonsteeringbox008.jpg

And one more...............

myrpumoreworkonsteeringbox003.jpg

Don

looks good Don. What is the box and shaft from? F100?

Disregard my last statement. I just read your actual build thread!

I started building a garage seat from an old Harley seat that no one wanted. Still have to brace it and possibly put casters on it. This where I stopped today.

Attachments

• impala.jpg
    impala.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 16
I finally finished the trailing arms for my 62 Impala. Instead of buying exspensive after market parts I made my own like most of the guys on RRR do. My work is not as professional looking but I am mostly a nut and bolt turner. After seeing a few early Impalas with over priced Hotchkiss suspension components I decide to try a few ideas. The last pic is an after market sway bar.
1st I boxed my lower control arms. Then I decide to build an anti sway bar. I had a rear differential from a 2000 Z-28 so I borrowed the sway bar and cut the ends off. After looking at the after market designs they looked kind of weak. Mine mounts the bar sway bar in the middle of the mounting plate not tacked on the end. I also drilled a hole for the bar to sit in so I could weld from the front and back. The rear end is off set as you can tell in the photos but I kept the bar centered under the car. If anyone sees a problem let me know, I would rather fix it now then brake something while out running a Honda.
I also built a patch panel for the front valance but could not keep the welds from burning through. Finally built a blower scoop for my wifes pedal car.

Attachments

• impala 030.jpg
    impala 030.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 17
  • impala 031.jpg
    impala 031.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 17
  • impala 032.jpg
    impala 032.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 16
  • impala 033.jpg
    impala 033.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 15
  • impala 034.jpg
    impala 034.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 1202sr-33-z+1962-chevrolet-impala-shocks-and-sway-bars+.jpg
    1202sr-33-z+1962-chevrolet-impala-shocks-and-sway-bars+.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 15
This was a pretty cool weekend carwise. On Friday and Saturday we worked on building the front shock mounts for my rpu project. The majority of the time was spent trial and error getting the right angle and height, and also in figuring a way to mount the headlights on the same bracket. All that is left now is to weld them up, put some metal around the open sides to close them up, and weld them to the car.

Myrpuworkonfrontshocks004.jpg

Myrpuworkonfrontshocks005.jpg

Sunday morning Don and I met at 8 am and headed to a monthly swap meet that is held at the Muscle Car Museum in Punta Gorda, Fl. Today the turnout was huge and there were a lot of deals. Here are some things I scored.

Two brand new 6 inch chrome air cleaners for the two fours on my 27 and a brand new in the box Mr Gasket 3 speed shifter (for some future project). I paid $ 15 for all three items and probably could have gotten them cheaper but I was ashamed to beat the guy up any more. :eek: The replacement air filters alone are more than the $5.00 each I paid, and mine are getting a little dirty on my 27 so now I can change them out.

A MAC rolling tool cart with drawer underneath. I paid $ 20 for it and it is super heavy duty. Even the cheapies at HF go for $ 100, so I couldn't get the money out fast enough. I think I am going to use it to organize our air grinders and electric grinders.

A Milwaukee 1/2 inch electric drill. It is an oldie but a goodie, takes two men and a boy to pick it up, but I got it for $15 and it works great. He wanted $20 but the cord is frayed so I will have to replace that, which is why he came down on the price. He said he was afraid of it because he was using it one time and the holesaw grabbed and he thought he broke his wrist. The same thing happened to me with my 1/2 incher, until I screwed a length of pipe into the drill to use as a handle.

An old but really nice 1/2 inch dial type torque wrench in a metal case. I have a nice 3/8 one but just a cheap bar type 1/2 incher, so this one will be much better. I paid $ 20 for it, and may have it calibrated if I can find someone local to do it.

Here is some of my booty...

swapmeetstuff006.jpg

I've decided to use the tool cart for my most commonly used tools instead of putting our grinders on it. Tomorrow I'll pick up some socket organizers and get the rest of my tools on it.

swapmeetstuff008.jpg

Don got some deals too.........

He bought one of those inflatable car capsules, the kind where you drive your car in and then the fan keeps it inflated so your car is stored in a dry, clean bubble. They sell for about $500 but he got it for $75. We brought it home and his T bucket is now hermetically sealed. :D I'll have to post some pictures of it, the thing looks pretty funny but it should keep his T clean.

Also he bought some old Chiltons manuals at $ 10 each, and some metal cases with various deep well socket sets inside........I think he paid $8 for 3 cases.

He also got a pretty new looking Craftsman Industrial series 1/2 inch electric drill for $ 15, and one of those squirrel cage electric fans for $20. He also scored two Fox Mustang rear windows to use as mockups to modify his Capri to use the more modern Mustang type. He paid $ 10 for the pair and wanted to see how they looked before he orders brand new ones to use.

Here is the car capsule Don got.

swapmeetstuff003.jpg

swapmeetstuff001.jpg

All in all a good day. Can't wait until they have the next one in May.

Don

Last edited:
i worked on my model A all weekend.... most of the rear suspension is done now. i sold a 330 desoto Hemi, and bought a like new pair of Remington
L-78-15 wide white walls for the model A for $100 :eek:

i got my 54 pontiac running for the first time in 15 years.Got a fuel line issue to fix but good to know it runs,hooray!

Sounds like everyone had a good weekend. Cowboy maybe you can give us an update on the 54 now that it is running.

Installed vintage Trico fan

AKA the poor mans A/C. Bought this old N.O.S. Trico fan that was never installed. Just need to run the hose under the dash to the engine. Just hope it works after sitting in a box for at last 50 years.

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
We started welding up my rpu front shock mounts today and had one almost done when the disc grinder slipped and cut through my Son Dan's glove and thumb on his left hand. :( It doesn't need stitches but we called it a day and got him patched up. All of the stuff we car guys play with can sure hurt you in a heartbeat. :(

Don

Finally cleaned my garage man what a lot of stuff. The best part of the weekend was getting the body back on my Impala. It has been apart and untouched for almost 15 years. Hopefully it will be running and driving before the end of summer.

today was my saturday so I slept until 11am...(I worked 17 yesterday until 1am!), my wife had all the dining room cleaned out so I could sand and eurathane the hardwood. Just did the second coat now and am headed for the camper for the night. Fumes are killer![cl

Latest posts

Back