What do you do for a living?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52 fordman

Okay dont know if has been asked but. What do you do for a living? And for you guys who build rods, tell us about the early days when you started doing it for a $.

As for me The state decided to close the prison I worked at and laid off over 300 of us. So made some changes and sold of some things so i can do what needs to be done:).

Been a contractor and home builder for 41 years...wish the economy would get straight....things are really slow...

been a full time builder for 5 years. before that out of high school i apprenticed/ worked at a couple body shops, and a hot rod shop. and worked full time as a certified welder at a government sub contracted manufacturing company for a year before i went into business for myself

I've been self employed as a welder for 29 years,mostly in the vehicle rust repair/modification side of it and a lot of custom blacksmith work as a side line. The poor enconomy is good for my business as I find more folks are hanging on to their rusty cars/trucks,as opposed to buying newer.
Brian

Started in drywall 24 years ago worked my way up the ladder. The last 13 years I had been with 1 company, was estimater/project manage for the last 6 years with up to 60 guys working under me. Last November I came to a moral fork in the road at work and just could not lower my moral standards. I'm not builder but because of my job I had to be a certified welder, so that is one thing that I know. The rest I learn on here.

Last edited:
Doing 25 to life at UPS. It pays real well, but it ain't easy - may be the death of me even. Here's a recent screen shot of Google maps to prove my point. (1224 W 76th St Davenport IA if you wanna look) :D
attachment.php

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 109
run a bike shop full time. was a manager for 14 years at a major office supply company and was an officer for 9 years.

Well most of my life i worked any odd job for a pay check then quit, after i was broke i went and got another job, till i got married and had kids now im a crane operator cuase its easy work and it pays well:rolleyes:

Carpenter/Project Manager mostly custom residential and some light commercial. Been at it for 36 years except for a couple years I was forced out due to health problems, spent that time running a concrete plant.

Started as a drafter out of high school working for an electrical engineer. 34 years later - still in same business, now I'm a project manager, electrical designer and lighting designer for commercial buildings. Current company is all about sustainable design, so we've been able to stay busy over the past 5 years. Branching out to professional photographer when I can sneak away from the desk job...

Well...started working in an autobody shop back in 1976...first job was to clean the bathroom::eek:(second was to clean the office:(:mad:[S....stuck it out and changed locations for a few years until I ended up where I am now which was back in 1981....learned the trade and bought the buisness with my partner in 1995...we repair cars mostly for insurance companies but I do restorations,custom painting,and custom carbuilding as well...mostely within the buisness....but now I have someone else to clean the washroom and the office:)[ddd...

I'm a design engineer for a stamping company, and I also work in their IT department when I get freed up, server, client, and I do some automation PLC logic, and touch screen setup, maintenance, repair. Tig weld here and there when needed.

I have been with this company coming up on 14 years in september.

Trained electrician in England then started a company wholesaling electrical.
Moved to canada and between flipping houses i started a company that removes asbestos.
15 years later it's still funding my car building so it will do for now.

For 34 years I held a variety of technical, supervisory and managerial positions in a personal care products manufacturing facility.

Retired now for 15 years.

Latest posts

Back