What do you think? Builders please look!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hemi8me

As some of you know, I am building a hemi to put into a RR. Someone has contacted me about a 1932 Chevy 5 window. Here are some pictures. Do you all think the Chevy is a good build car? What do you think of this car? Looks nice to me.

No title and the price is $1800.

If I was interested in doing a coupe, I would have no problem with that car for $1800. Where I live, (Ct) we have to pay more than that for a much more rotted mess.:(

:cool:$1800 is a good price and you can purchase a title for around $300,be different,because if that was a 32 Ford just imagine what it would cost.[cl

$1800 is very fair for that car, but two things you need to be aware of with Chevies of that vintage:

1) The body is completely framed with wood, and it rots out. Once it is gone there is only a thin sheet metal skin. You most probably will be replacing all the wood, or building a steel framework out of something like 1 x 1 box tubing to replace it. The wood framework is a big problem with these cars, and doors and such will not close right until it is fixed.

2) The front end uses parallel front springs, and if you are going to run fenderless it is hard to get the car to look right. The springs stick out pretty far in front of the radiator in that setup.

But it is a good deal pricewise, just wanted you to know the two things I mentioned.

Don

$1800 is very fair for that car, but two things you need to be aware of with Chevies of that vintage:

1) The body is completely framed with wood, and it rots out. Once it is gone there is only a thin sheet metal skin. You most probably will be replacing all the wood, or building a steel framework out of something like 1 x 1 box tubing to replace it. The wood framework is a big problem with these cars, and doors and such will not close right until it is fixed.

2) The front end uses parallel front springs, and if you are going to run fenderless it is hard to get the car to look right. The springs stick out pretty far in front of the radiator in that setup.

But it is a good deal pricewise, just wanted you to know the two things I mentioned.

Don

Sage advice here. Most people who are saying "yeah go for it" are not spending their time or money to fix it. Not that it can't be done, but there is a LOT of work that goes into these old wood frame cars. That being said, it does seem to be a fair price for what it is and they do make neat hot rods.

And no, they did not come with a filled roof...

As complete as the car is 18 is a great price. Around here a car in that condition would run ya about 2500-3000. I say go for it and have fun building it into something you will be proud of.
Larry

Seems like a good price to me and you rarely see one compared to the F**rd's. I like the looks of the early 30's Chevy's. The Hemi would be awesome in that car. Replacing the wood is a lot of work as other's have said.

with the wood thing, fab work is needed, so would you be doing some body mods? you'll be laying bead and fitting panels anyway.
Plus a mopar in a bowtie DO IT

im a chevy guy if i was offered that car for $3600 i would bite your hand off at the wrist.buy it and good luck it.if it was mine i would redo the wood.new timber would smell great driving along the road.but im a carpenter/joiner by trade so im biased

I have heard about the wood problem, but being that it is still mounted to the frame should make replacing the wood with metal easier.

Changing the springs to the Ford type should not be to hard.

Thanks for the info.

Sage advice here. Most people who are saying "yeah go for it" are not spending their time or money to fix it. Not that it can't be done, but there is a LOT of work that goes into these old wood frame cars. That being said, it does seem to be a fair price for what it is and they do make neat hot rods.

And no, they did not come with a filled roof...

Neat rods for sure. No filled roof...How does the roof look to you all in the pictures?

Most of the time you can find a complete ford axle assembly for $200.00- $300.00 with springs and wishbone complete , Just try and find one with the round back spindles so brake conversions are easy to find . Good luck on the build , I think the chevy with a hemi will be pretty dang cool .

Latest posts

Back