What does everyone do?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barberochris

I've gone through a lot of threads on this site since I joined and can figure out what some of you do, but what do the rest of you do for a living?
I'm kind of at a stepping stone right now, I was at a Chrysler/Jeep dealership for awhile until I had to move recently. Now I'm at Sears waiting for some grand opportunity to come knock on my door.

P.S. anyone looking for a young tech to pass on their knowledge and skills to, let me know.

I operate (or try to operate) a small fabrication shop specializing in product development and inventions. All that means is I work with metal, wood, plastic, composits, wires and electricty, gears, etc, etc. and try to come up with mechanical solutions for people that have ideas and money. Then if they like my solutions, I try to get their money. Sounds simple? Then in the times I am not working on someones stuff I work on my own.

Stepping stone? Do this-

Identify something you are pasionate about and persue it. It wont make money, your friends will tell you that you are crazy, you will find that you are living on the edge, it will be uncomfortable, stay with the passion, focus, ignore your friends that dont support you.
Now you will be seen as the guy that does (fill in the blank) and that other guy will find you (or you will find him) and make you an offer you cant refuse.

The rest will be history and you will tell the story of "the dark days before you made it" for the rest of your life.

Try to keep your day job if at all possible for as long as you can then when the time is right, quit.

Good luck, we're all counting on you.:D

Same as Chris...on stepping stone atm..i quit my last job as commercial salesman in one local business that sold metalworking machines, software etc.
I hope to start my own businees soon, have great ideas now i just need to get a hold of some money to start:)

Metal art, fabrication, functional art, and bumming around. Seems like I have been everywhere, and done everything.
It will all come together for you, just keep your eyes open and watch for an opening in the direction you want to go.

I don't do anything all day at my day job, 'cept delegate work assignments to my guys who maintain this fancy a$$ golf course I manage in the southwest desert, while I surf the net an' try to feed my brain with enough interestin' input to really confuse myself, then I go home and work in my shop transforming these dreams and ideas into reality. Gastrick & Bonehead have shown me that I'm really an under achiever in need of direct supervision, and that I could really do more to save the world if I would just apply myself.. :D

im a paratrooper in the 82nd air borne division, and to be more exact im the lead .50 cal gunner for my platoon in a heavy weapons infantry company.

I had to take early retirement a year ago when my company got bought out. But I plan on returning to the marine industry if and when it ever comes back. Right now here in SW Florida it is non existent. :(:(

Don

I am a cog in a large corp. which is the largest dental supplier in North America. I surf the net, order in equipment and bill out said equipment, nap, surf, order, bill, surf, nap, order, bill, surf, lunch, surf, order, bill, bs with the warehouse guy, order, bill, surf, get coffee, bill, bs, go home and strart all over again in the morning. And before all this excitement I was in broadcasting for 20 yrs.

Job.........?

Everything.......Uuhm, let's see.........
I'm a Wife (to the oldest kid in the neighborhood that has been making things explode in our garage lately) :eek: and have 3 teenagers (13, 14 & 15), and I have a job outside of the home between 9-3 running an office with over 100 employees........Stressed :eek:

Something different...

Operations manager (fuel supply) for a remote drilling rig
(worlds largest land based rig) on the beach in the Russian far east
(wild life preserve :eek:).
Time split 50-50 between US & Russia with a lot of Korea and Japan in the mix.
It is always interesting, extreme weather 40% of the time, and has given my
wife and I a chance to see parts of the world (at someone elses expense)
that most people will never see.

Down side is missing the wife, kids, and garage monkeys (3 grand kids)
and not being able to work on the roadster... :rolleyes:

But I will keep doing it as long as the opportunity is there. :D '22

chayvo1apn7.jpg

r1op5.jpg

ya its kind of a family buisness my g-pa started doing it for the forest service in 1979 and still to this day
almost my whole family worked for him and i did too but you know how those family buisness go now i am on my owne and i love killing those cute prairie rats especialy when you run into tourists in the badlands or people from the big city who dont know that they are a pest

come to think of it a dead prairie dog would make a great shifter knob:D:D

Latest posts

Back