What features do you consider "obligatory" on a Rat Rod?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snake Farm

Ol school snake charmer!
Okay, I know there aren't really any rules to building a Rat Rod and I know everyone's tastes differ but I would like to know some of the things that YOU would feel obligated to include in a Rat Rod build:confused: I plan to start a project around the first of the year and I have a pretty good idea of what I want but I'd still like to hear what YOU think is cool:cool:

I'm pretty conservative so I don't go for much goofy or useless stuff. To me a ratrod is a barebones rod using what you can find without spending a lot of money. Most mods would have to be something that didn't compromise it's use or function just for looks. It would have to be safe, comfortable and easy to work on.

Safety! From there I don't care what else gets put in or on a rat....although a good looking female is a perfect accessory

I'm pretty conservative so I don't go for much goofy or useless stuff. To me a ratrod is a barebones rod using what you can find without spending a lot of money. Most mods would have to be something that didn't compromise it's use or function just for looks. It would have to be safe, comfortable and easy to work on.

Exactly, and dependable.

A tetanus shot before I start the build.LOL

Make sure the suspension and brakes systems are safe. I use NSRA inspection and NHRA rules when it comes to both of those systems.

Most important is drivable. That means safe, somewhat comfortable and able to driven to whatever events and gatherings you choose to attend.

Two things that need to be on any rat rod: The owners sweat and blood. Oh, road grime is a must - rat rods need to be driven.

... a barebones rod using what you can find without spending a lot of money...
That sums it up right there.

Paint can be considered a non-essential.

Safty first

Anything goes as long as it is built to be safely on the road.

Myself, like stated above am very conservetive. I am not a big fan of shiny and chrome. Never been a big fan of billet bolt ons. I admire rods of any sort really that have been built by a single private builder (with help from buddies is allowed), In a garage or in the driveway. I never even think twice at the high dollar builds by deep pocketed corporation, or the rich and famous. Even Jesse James, even tho he does have some cool looking rods, but again, built by deep endless pockets really doesn't impress me. I like to see the hard workin class poor man's rods. Those are the ones that get my respect. Making what you find in junk yards work. I have always been a fan of the flat colors, and many of mine were simply primer back in the day. Back then tho, they never were considered cool, and just waiting paint, lol.. But I always loved the "In Primer" look. Before I actually got around to painting my 49 GMC I drove it for about two years under red oxide primer, and loved it that way. I only painted it under duress and peer presure, lol.

Latest posts

Back