What have you done to your 283 sbc?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldrodder43

I recently got a 1965 Chevy 283 engine. Now I need to figure out what I want to do with it!
First thing I'm wondering is --- what is possible and why. Next thing is what have any of you done with your own 283? And did it work for you? I am not really hung up on squeezing the last possible c.i. out of it, she won't be for racing. Will likely be just a driver.
Thanks in advance for all of the knowledgeable suggestions and tips etc.
Perley

freshen it up with a rebuild kit, put in a mild hydraulic cam, and an aluminum intake with a small 4 barrel....sorry, that may sound "generic" but that is what i'd recommend

:cool:

Perley, the 283's of those years were some very good engines, just like all the sbc's that came before and after. I had a 64 Chevy convertible that I bought in 65 and it had the 283 powerglide combo. Super dependable but not necessarily real fast. I did put dual exhaust and a four barrel carb on it that helped a little, and for a while I had a .30-.30 solid lifter cam in it that only stayed there for a while because it ran like crap.

What do you know about your engine conditionwise? Was it running recently? Depending on it's current condition you might get away with just a clean up and tune up, but if it has been sitting for a while it might need a rebuild or at least a bearing and ring overhaul.

One thing, parts are plentiful and cheap so you should be able to freshen it up for not too much money, as long as it doesn't need a lot of machine work.

Don

I've had a few 283's. Only one is worth mentioning here. My Dad gave it to me, surrounded by a rough '64 GMC pickup and backed by a floor-shifted three-speed. It had low miles on a rebuild, powerpack heads, iron intake, Quadrajet, and a "327 cam". Nothing special, but that little truck surprised dozens of 350 Camaros, and made power 'til the valves floated.

The same 283 found its way into my next ride, a '69 Impala with a TH350 auto and a tall highway gear. No chasing Camaros with that tank.

Next, it saw duty in my '67 Impala SS. (After I pulled the tired 327). M21 4-speed, 4.10 gears. It did OK in that big car, of course the standard trans and gear helped it alot.

Short story long, that little 283 was a Timex watch, and was still running strong when I pulled it for the last time. I still have it, and hope to rebuild it someday. When I do, I plan to seek the advice of a Stock/Super Stock drag racer just like my Dad did. I believe somebody with small displacement experience can maximize its potential with relatively minor mods, make a strong runner and a great driver. (Cam choice is critical as Don found out).

These little engines are almost bullet proof :)
What I like about them is they all had steel cranks so you're good to go there ;)
I have had several the one in my 57 Chevy (43 years ago) was my favorite. I bored it .060 over, 3/4 Duntov cam, 461 double hump heads with 1.94 intake valves, a Corvette dual four intake, Headman headers and a 4 speed Muncie with 390 gears [dr
Thanks for bringing up the memory :rolleyes:

Jim

Thanks to all of you for your input. It sounds like the basic things I will do. Don--the engine came from an auto-recycler. He said it came to him in a '67 chevy pickup truck, and that the owner at that time said it had been running. This guy pulled it out and put it away with the intention of using it himself someday (guess we've all done that) but too many projects. It is very dirty greasy nasty on the outside, and I've not torn it down yet, so no clue! But it turns over ok. I guess the first step would be to have it steam cleaned and then start dismantling it. Then a trip for hot tanking and magna-fluxing. Then, depending on the results, I'll do some planning. I NEED it to be low budget though, like many others, at my age money doesn't come easy nor fast. I shouldn't have anything to do with this, but NOSTALGIA, sigh---
I had one in a '58 Chevy Biscayne with a power-glide, back in '63. Some ass ran into it headon one day while my wife had it out. Luckily, low speed, but did a number on it. Loved that set-up. perley

I've had a few 283's. Only one is worth mentioning here. My Dad gave it to me, surrounded by a rough '64 GMC pickup and backed by a floor-shifted three-speed. It had low miles on a rebuild, powerpack heads, iron intake, Quadrajet, and a "327 cam". Nothing special, but that little truck surprised dozens of 350 Camaros, and made power 'til the valves floated.

The same 283 found its way into my next ride, a '69 Impala with a TH350 auto and a tall highway gear. No chasing Camaros with that tank.

Next, it saw duty in my '67 Impala SS. (After I pulled the tired 327). M21 4-speed, 4.10 gears. It did OK in that big car, of course the standard trans and gear helped it alot.

Short story long, that little 283 was a Timex watch, and was still running strong when I pulled it for the last time. I still have it, and hope to rebuild it someday. When I do, I plan to seek the advice of a Stock/Super Stock drag racer just like my Dad did. I believe somebody with small displacement experience can maximize its potential with relatively minor mods, make a strong runner and a great driver. (Cam choice is critical as Don found out).

Funny how that happens..I had a 307 Chevy like that years ago..I built it with a tunnel ram for my 64 malibu SS, beat the snot out of it for years..trashed several trannies and a couple rearends behind it..regularly saw 7500rpm, then toned it down and put it in a pickup..drove it that way for awhile..then a head and cam swap back to stock,2 barrel, put it in my moms caprice and she drove it about 5 more years..even got a little over 20mpg in the caprice..

Latest posts

Back