What is this?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guyboy1970

Truck offered in the ad as a 1950 International, but this doesn't look like the pics I have found of that year model online. Thanks for your help guys

Attachments

• 51 international 001.jpg
    51 international 001.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 42
Thanks Tudor and Bonehead I know you guys would pick up on it pretty quick! Guy is wanting $600 for it...I'm kinda iffy about it though just from the pics. Looks like the last truck.....RUSTED THROUGH.

I would hit it..

I would jump on that for $600. Even if the floor is rotten, the body sheetmetal is worth better than that, just to plop on another chassis if ya had to. It would make a cool rat.. You can't find vintage sheetmetal like that for that anymore..

The front clip is definitely 1956, but the cabs are the same from '50-'56. Someone could have put the newer sheetmetal on it. If he has the headlight bezels I would be interested in them...

Ok good deal guys, i just dont wanna jump on something that I can't get around to getting repaired enough to fix and drive! LOL I will check on the truck and Blue I will see if he has bezels and thanks on the year model info!

Ok good deal guys, i just dont wanna jump on something that I can't get around to getting repaired enough to fix and drive! LOL I will check on the truck and Blue I will see if he has bezels and thanks on the year model info!

Smart thinking in regards to a new project. Too many people are too ambitious or unrealistic when it comes to things like this and they wind up being torn apart and abandoned. Thanks for checking on the bezels, I need a set!

Thanks Blue, I have not been on here long and I do in fact have rust fever LOL. So ready to drag a heap to the house to start on just dont wanna bite off more than I can actually chew. I have learned alot here on this board and it just feels like family here. I wish some of you guys were closer to me so i could help with your projects! maybe one day though you never know.

Little details...

I look for when finding barn finds, or cornfield queens..

The tires look inflated. If they are reasonably holding air, they haven't sat too awfully long. Look at the tires for marks or creases in the sidewall to tell you if they were flat for a long period of time, even if they have air in them now. Easy of recovery. It looks like it is very accessable to inspect, and or remove from the property. "How long has it sat there". From the looks of the grass around it, it hasn't sat at least where it is at very long, which means it drove not long ago, or at least was easily moved to where it sits now. Critters living in the glove box, engine compartment etc. If things haven't made it into a condo, means it hasn't sat static too awfully long. The longer it sits, the more odds something, rats specifically will take residence and decorate their new condo with chewed up seat foam, etc. Are there pine nuts, and other evidence of critter inhabitance in the glove box, floor board nooks and crannies, even the tail pipe. Things like that I look at when buying a heep.. Signs like that can tell ya alot about how long something has sat.

Is the seller moving, cleaning up his place because he wants to, or pressure from city, county or neighbors. Will tell ya how despret he is to get rid of it will aid in making an offer. Offer him $400, you drag off deal.

well preachers don't usually agree w/ the devil, but blue is right, i've even seen it on here-people get a decent project to start with, but go gung-ho and want to get radical instead of doing a little at a time....some good tin wasted or wasting away b/c somebody DID bite off more than they can chew

use your head, be realistic in what you can do and what you can't and realize "cheap" builds seldom turn out so cheap....parts do cost money....brakes, fuel lines&hoses...electrical "Stuff" it all costs something eventually

BTW a decent looking old truck IMO

Thanks again Tudor and Preacher. I thought it look reasonable enough but will know more after seeing it in person. He bought it for his son, not sure how long ago, paid $1,400 for it and now just wants it gone so i will offer less and see what happens. If he is motivated he will sell if not then I may have to reevaluate the situation.

If the body and fenders are good I will not go fenderless. Repair what is bad and lower it, red or black wheels and ride out! After repairs that is...motor supposed to be rebuilt but we will see. Thanks for the info, I learn more and more on here everyday!

80% rule

When barting for old cars, I go by the 80% rule. You dont want to go too low, unless they are one of those people that always think what they have is valuable. They can't sell a person "sentiment", because their sentiment has no value at all to you. His price is already fairly reasonable, so you dont want to go too much lower to **** him off. I tend to offer 80% of their asking, which is usually taken. Less than that will depend on the situation, and their "attitude" or depretness to get rid of it. If they put a price of $600, like in your case, they already decided they wanted $500 for it, and added the extra bill to barter with. So, I am pretty confident you can already get it for the 5 bills, so try just a bit lower to feel him out.

Just more food for though.

the sentiment thing reminds me of when people always advertise something as "custom". Well, if something was cutomized to their specs, it doesn't mean that "custom" has any value to anyone else. it is custom to them, they can't sell that, because it isn't custom to the buyer.. lol.. Just sayin. When a seller means, "it means allot to me..". Well at the risk of sounding like a jerk, sorry about that, you can't sell me what it "means' to you, sell me the item, not your attachment to it. And if it meant "that" much to you, you wouldn't be selling it.. Also just saying, lol

And..

Personaly, as a buyer, I don't care when someone says what they "have in it..". All I care about is what I am willing to give you for it. What you have in it is of no consiquince to me. IF you have reciepts proving a $$ amount you have it it may, or may not influence what i would be willing to give for it, but if they dont have that proof, it's only sales chatter and I dont even really hear it..

Again.. Just sayin.. <grin>

dmw I have to check on the title situation as I forgot to ask him this morning but I will find out. And Tudor I am right with ya on your advice on the 80% rule and I had kinda figured on the $500 offer and seeing what happened. And I TOTALLY agree with the "custom" talk people do and my favorite is "rare" in ads LOL that is supposed to meean its worth alot of money and sometimes that is just not the case.

I have managed to see alot of rare trucks since I have been looking but if that RARE truck is not what you want...it ain't such a hot item...Just my .02

Flag words..

Oh yeah, don't get me started on Flag words, hahha.. The term "rare', "Antique", "Custom" etc is so overused, they mean nothing to me really. Just because something is old, even antique, or even rare doesn't mean its worth much. I mean, you have have a dog turd from a dog from the 1920s. Sure, it's old, maybe even an antiques, and I would assume PRETTY rare, but does that mean that dog turd is worth a bunch of money? Not so much, hahhah..

dmw I have to check on the title situation as I forgot to ask him this morning but I will find out. And Tudor I am right with ya on your advice on the 80% rule and I had kinda figured on the $500 offer and seeing what happened. And I TOTALLY agree with the "custom" talk people do and my favorite is "rare" in ads LOL that is supposed to meean its worth alot of money and sometimes that is just not the case.

I have managed to see alot of rare trucks since I have been looking but if that RARE truck is not what you want...it ain't such a hot item...Just my .02

Dont know if you can see but a limb fell on it and crushed the roof. All trim is inside the jeep and the rear doors were off when the limb fell so they are good. Guy said he thought about jacking the roof back up and trying to straighten the roof out and lost interest. But it can be bought for $200. Interior is shot but the old jeep looks pretty cool.

Tudor if you are interested I can get more pics for ya! I thought about buying it just to part it out...???

Latest posts

Back