What is wrong with me?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratdog

So for the last way too many years I have been designing and building one off furniture and kitchens for people.I can do pretty fancy stuff,carving,inlays etc. People that see what I do are always going on how lucky I am to be able to do this kind of stuff. So why is it that I get way more enjoyment and satisfaction out of working on some rusty old car stuff.I am much happier cleaning up an old axle or something and painting it then building all this fancy furniture. It just doesnt make any sence.Anybody know whats wrong with me?

The old cars are fun, you want to do it, you only have to please yourself. The carpentry is work, no matter that your good at it, you do it for pay and other people. It also comes with the stress, deadlines, expectations and demands of your customers. The old cars don't carry the same pressures unless they are self imposed.

I have the same problem, only reversed. Been a mechanic all my life, fixing everyone elses problems. I turn to wood working for my 'get away from the world' relief. Think I'll combine the two and build a woody!! ;)

nothing is wrong with you i dont think:D:D
your good at what you do and it pays for the fun stuff if every thing we did was the fun stuff how fun would it be in the end

if theres something wrong with you there might be something wrong with all of us

And I don't think thats true. you are probable more sain than alot because you found something you enjoy that gets you through the everyday grind. No matter how cool your job is its still something you have to do. playing with rusty metal is something you want to do and you get to do it your way. I was always looking for something to get me to look forward to tomorrow and not much would last until in '08 I realised the idea that I could build a rat rod. Iv'e never had so much fun as an adult and actually fear that if I loose interest in my rod there will be nothing left . man , Iv'e said to much. Im starting to question my sanity. Im going to go out in the shop and weld something. Long Live the Rat Rodder !!!

I don't think anything is wrong with you. I am good at my job, but it is still work and I would quit tomorrow if I could. I also enjoy the old car thing more than almost anything else, but I might get tired of it if I had to do it as work.

I had a business building high end free form log furniture for several years. I got a contract to do part of a lodge, 10 beds and 20 night stands. I was so sick of building beds by the time I got done, even though the money was good. I was really glad when they renigged on the other 20 I was contracted to build.

No, you are pretty much in line with the rest of us. We work at jobs that we may not particularly be nuts about, but what keeps us going (and sane) is payday so we can buy a few more goodies for our toys. There is an old saying in boating, "A bad day on the water is better than a good day at work." I think you could take out a few words and make it fit us car nuts. "A bad day in the shop beats a good day at work." :D:D

Don

I just retired from 50 +/- years of doing body work / fabrication for other people. I'm just trying to get motivated again to do a project for myself. Of course now that I have the time, It's the money that's shy... On top of that, I live on the east coast and all the good tin is in the mid west. $$$ sigh.....

Latest posts

Back