what metalwrking tools are must haves

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PlyFloor005.jpg

This is the rest of my sheet metal fab. equipment.
The metal block in the foreground is 1" thick and works as a brake for making bends. Behind it, under the piece of sheetmetal is a length of 1/4" by 1" flat stock used for putting beads in flat panels. The spring leaf is used as a slap hammer. I have a few more dollies than the one shown. A left and right aircraft snips are important. I finally gave up on cheap air powered shears. They keep breaking when cutting 18 gauge. I now use a 4 1/2" angle grinder with .045 thick cutoff wheels. Not seen is floor standing disc and belt sander I use to clean up the angle grinder cuts. If I need to bend larger material, I visit a friend with a 4' brake. I find I can do quite a bit with just these simple tools.

This, and the makeshift formng roll in Post #21 is all I used to build the floor in my 1940 Plymouth truck.

Last edited:
Some of these "homemade" tools impress the stuffin out of me. You guys should email these tools to the fella that is starting the RatRod Magazine for tech tips! Nice going guys![cl[cl......CR

I've been collecting scrap metal pipe and tubing. It's nice to have various sizes when you want to put a contour or smooth curve in some sheet metal. Bend it around the pipe or use a hammer and the pipe like a dollie.

By the way, this thread has some good info. I've been wanting to expand my metal fab tool collection.

This is a very handy tool, and ya could probably get one free, if ya gotz a chain saw.....I got this from a thread on hotroddersjournal. Look under C-boy journals. Lots of ingenious tools there...

Attachments

• metal%20working%20029%20(Medium).jpg
    metal%20working%20029%20(Medium).jpg
    47 KB · Views: 42

Latest posts

Back