What Rear End????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratcrazy

Looking for a rear end for my ride but dont know which one to look for. I want something with the hoghead aka pumkin in the center with axle of equal lengths. Running a 230 ci with powerglide tranny. Frame is 35" wide in the rear. Any suggestings? Help!!!:confused:

Start looking at over all widths. What would be ideal. Unless you are running huge horsepower just about any will work for you. Measure up a Ford Ranger, or a full size older ford 1/2 ton pu first, you can't go wrong with the ford 8 or 9 inch. But any rear wheel drive car or truck may work for you.

A ford 9" out of a early 70's bronco is probly what your lookin for. They are 56" backing plate to backing plate and have equal length axles. Gears are reasonable and parts are easy to find and with the gears bein front loader they are easy to change. Plus a 9" will take alot of H.P. and abuse. The housings are all steel (not cast) so you can weld mounts anywhere. Hope this helps ya out.

Yep, the decision usually centers around what rear end is wide enough to fit and look good as opposed to any performance considerations. I'm running an S10 rear and have abused it on several occasions :)D) and it is hanging in there so far.

What I would do is prop up the tires and wheels you will be using in a spot that looks good and clears the body. Then measure from the flange mounting surface to flange mounting surface and take that measurement to the junkyard. On my Son's '29 when it was a sedan we had to get one from a full size GMC van because we needed a very wide rear end to clear the very dropped body. It would be way to wide for most other applications, but was what he needed for that particular setup.

Don

Thanks folks, this gives me a direction to go. I am goinh to run a Chevy 230 six with a powerglide so about any thing with a centered section will work for me, hopefully a Ford.
Thanks again and God bless.

Latest posts

Back