What should I do for the Lovely 51' F1?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reedrods51

So anyway I'm wanting to know the best possible parts I can use on my F1 without breaking the bank. I plan on doing all by myself and really to get my rod running with parts from donor vehicles at the local pick n' pull. I'm going for the 302 from either a 1980-1993 F-150 or a 1987-2003 mustang and the AOD transmission from either one. I drive standard and definitely prefer it but what should I do for brakes and the rear end? I want a fast but efficient truck to drive that's rugged and very fun. And I'm 16, my knowledge of cars is good but building im pretty fresh at that. My skills are what I've learned from my dad working on one of our muscles. (we have a 69' superbee and a 63' vette). Anyway any and all advice is greatly appreciated! btw going patina rod on this because hey, that's awesome looking.

Attachments

• 20121227_160653.jpg
    20121227_160653.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 20121227_160733.jpg
    20121227_160733.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 20121227_160823.jpg
    20121227_160823.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 20121227_160814.jpg
    20121227_160814.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 43
Everything you change will cost more and more. Keep it stock but replace all the serviceable parts, bearings brakes shocks bushings. A running truck is funner to work on than the one your dreaming about driving but can afford to put back together.

Save money and collect the parts to do the upgrades then sucker your friends into a weekend thrash getting the upgrades done one at a time.

Keep it fun, and enjoy it. don't get bogged down with the build, just get one thing done at a time and next thing you know you'll have yourself a badd@$$ rod.

Kurt

Haha thanks, Im really ready for the project, right now I'm just waiting to get the cash togethor before I go full into it. I would hate to leave her sitting again after rescuing her. Anyway thanks! [cl

Start google searching interchangeable parts for your front spindles our just starting looking for disk brake conversions. It shouldn't be hard to find rotors to fit your spindles then just make some backing plates to hold calipers that fit those rotors. Plenty of universal weld on ones though,

Kurt

Yup, leave the fenders on and the frame stock. forget the cartoon trucks for your first project. If you do the drum brakes right, they will be adequate...oh wait you live in Texas, never mind. I used to drive my drum brake F-250 to Tyler and it was terrifying. Have your dad help you deterrmine if the steering is tight. If it needs all new steering and king pins, might as well look into a swap. Lots of cars and pickups have front suspensions that just bolt on. Look into early 70s Chevy pickups. I am personally thinking real hard on Ford Aerostar. It looks like a pretty easy swap and you would have rack and pinion steering too.

( inch rear is fine but for a lot less money you can get an 8.8 which will hold up just fine. Ford used them in almost everything from about 83 on (except where they used a 7.5) Lots of Rangers, all the F-150s, crown vics and Exploders used them so you can find about any width. I have a 3.73 limited slip I got from a junkyard for $60 and got all the springs, U-bolts, sway bar and driveshaft with it.

first

ya, on my first rods dad told me use the K l S S method (keep it simple stupid:D)

discs, 9" and leave the body alone, make it easy so ya don't get discouraged and park it and not do it. l know, been there done that a time or 3.

really like the patina on that truck.

can you post a few more pics?

Later :cool:

Thanks guys, I really just want good braking, steering and the right amount of take off for when I step on the gas. I'll try to get more pictures this weekend since I'm fairly busy for the time being but will get back to you on that. Rack&pinion is what I aim to do and disc brakes on the front for greater braking power. Anyone have experience with power given from the original rear end? I can easily get a bolt on rear end off a 72' f100 at my local pick and pull but want to know if It's actually a good choice anyway to just get rid of that. My plan is to make this a powerhouse but not go into the extremes budget wise, I want to keep this like a rod you would see out of a late 50's edition of hot rod magazine. Totally backyard and totally DIY, thanks to all your advice gents! [cl

There are different kits available out there which allow you to use discs from a later model F-150... Lets you keep the big Ford truck bolt pattern. Classic Performance Products comes to mind, as does Speedway Motors. I believe the early 9" as mentioned above ('57-'59 F-100) is a bolt-in on your rear springs, this would give you a stronger diff which you could put better gearing in.:cool:
All kinds of options out there for bolt-in crossmember kits regardless if you want a Ford or Chevy engine and tranny.

Another forum for model-specific info:

www.ford-trucks.com

another (dunno if it's still around):

www.bonus-built.com

K.I.S.S. as stated in the earlier posts is the best way to "git-er-dun.":) Keep us up to date![;)

Regards,
Shea:)

Latest posts

Back