what to do first?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TooManyIdeas

I'm working with a 1948 f1 cab It will be cab, frame, bed ,engine/trans bare bones type build. i have cut the floor out because it had rusted away to nothing but now i don't know what to do. I'm gonna chop the top 4 inches but i need to build the floor but i cant build the floor because i don't know exactly how I'm gonna do the frame[S I might have to channel it to get the ride height i want. So what is the best thing to do, build the cab floor structure to hold the bottom together then chop it, then move to the frame or what. Basically i want to know what the best way to go about building a vehicle from scratch is. where is the best place to start? I don't have a lot of time to work on this so i want to make the most of my time.
Thanks

Take a deep breath and slow down TMI.....

you can chop the top on the floor of the garage.... no need to have it on the frame..... brace it up since the floor is gone to keep it rigid while you cut the top....regarding the floor, forget it until you have the plan for the frame, then decide if you want to channel it (floor would be raised anyway) and then go from there..... take your time, breath son, breath...lol

Get your frame and suspension mocked up then set the body (cab) on it. Once you get the cab where you want it then you can frame up the floor and make the cab mounts.

Do that and "Bob's your uncle"!!!

I actually have a Bob as an uncle..........

set cab at ride height on blocks (judging from rockers to ground) mock up motor and axles for positioning. Then brace up the cab inside so it is squre and doors all work well. build frame, build supension, set motor and cab, build cab floor to frame and over / around trans, motor and drive shaft, then when that is all solid and can be bolted in place attack the top with vigor! Then post pics as you go!![P[P[P

If you chop it off the frame, make sure you brace brace brace!!!

And like said above make SURE everything is as square and aligned as possible!!

I would do the floor last!!! JMO

I just finished a 1946 Ford....
Unless you make a stand, DON'T do the body on the floor.
I first had to get the doors to work properly and redid the sub braces and floor (channeled it 6 inches) to support the body. Then added tube x braces to keep the upper body square before cutting for the chop. I cut out the area around the back window to align it with the dash and rearview mirror.[;)

Attachments

• DSCN1160.jpg
    DSCN1160.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 24

Latest posts

Back