What to do for work?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidhud29

I really can't decide what to do here. Had my own remodeling business. It went down hill with the economy. All I have ever done is manual labor construction type jobs.
I was selling roof replacements for a while. Try to get ins. to pay for storm damage. Pays really good. Door to door sells aren't for me though. And it's to easy to be dishonest which I am not comfortable with.
I deliver part time right now for a med. supply company. Wheel chairs, oxygen, hospital beds, bedside commodes, etc... Pay is ok, no benefits. Eventually full time. Not really what I want to do for the next 30? years.
So what to do? I would like something that would allow my wife to quit work and take care of the kids and house. And she would to. Only have a high school education. So that probably means back to school. Not sure if I can even afford that. It would be tight for a few years for sure. But would it be worth it?
Ok so I go back to school. Now what do I go back to learn? I've considered Respiratory Therapist. It pays descent, medical field which is always hiring. Do I want to do it for 30? years? Not really.
What I have been really considering lately is becoming a barber. Online from what I've read they don't make a lot of money. But I have talked to my barber several times. The other day he said he makes between 2-2500 a week. That's pretty dang good. I'd be happy with half that. He also said it takes 2 years to establish clients. So I'm looking at three years with college to get my regular income. And he has been doing it for 47 years. He loves it and wouldn't do anything else. And I'm talking traditional barber shop here to guys. Which is what I would do. Eventually opening my own. Straight razor shaves, very Old school, MENS barber shop.
Just looking for opinions, suggestions, etc....

I had a very smart man tell me one time "you will never get rich working for someone else." But the rules have changed dramatically recently. It used to be that if you were your own boss you couldn't get fired, but nowadays we see so many businesses, big and small, going under that you can't depend on that either.

Working for someone else does have some advantages, such as benefits and not having to worry about payroll, etc. But, as I have personally found out recently, the owners can come in one day and say "today we are closing up shop, thank you for your dedication and loyalty........goodbye." Even those jobs that used to be recession proof are no longer secure, like Public Service, health care, etc. They are all cutting back and doing more with less.

I guess the one thing that still holds true though is to find a career in a field you really enjoy. I have had some high paying jobs where I couldn't stand to go into work every morning, and have had some lower paying ones that I loved. Sometimes peace of mind is more important than money.

I think your idea about a traditional barber shop is a good one, lately they have all turned into those chain Hair Crafter type places and I really prefer just a good old fashioned barber myself. There is one in the next town over that has 4 or 5 chairs and they are always full with people waiting, reading magazines (MENS MAGAZINES NOT THOSE STUPID ONES IN THE SALONS :() Plus they are quick and reasonably priced. I also hate to spend $ 20 + tip when my bald head only takes 3 minutes to cut.

If that is what you want to do, go for it.

Don

There is a place in town called The Man Shop. Women started it, they wear coveralls, there's a pool table and pinball machines. Never had my hair (the remaining few) cut there. My wife buzzes mine.

No barber shops around here. I have had a buzz for a long time and just decided to let it grow once again. I had to go to one of those "salons" and the girl that cut my hair screwed it up really bad. Plus it cost me $20 just to look this bad! My wife calls me Light bulb head!!!!...go for it David, there's never enough barbers...CR

Barber is a very good idea. #1 thing - you have to have set hours. Even if it's part time for the first few years while you keep another job. Buddy at work is qualified barber, but his main job schedule changes every 6 months, so he can't build clients.

Most guys want a man to cut their hair - you go to a women and come out looking fruity. I said 'high and tight' not 'sassy'! :rolleyes:

sounds good if you buy out a retiring barber you get a try out w/his old costumers and a location that's already known so new clients can find you easy

The barbershop idea is great, the only two things I could think that may be an issue to consider is the size of town your in, and the demographic of the people in the area. In my area there isnt really an old time barber shop around so it would more then likely take off. The guy i go to now seems to do really well for himself, but has put in his time (10-15 years) in the city to build his client base, usually have to call a week or more ahead to get an appointment, but it is more of a salon then a barbershop as most of his clients are female.

im with PistolPete. you need to make sure that you are going to be able to build a client base. you are going to have to find a good place to put the shop and you are going to have to make sure that you are going to be able to build a clientelle. if there are any other shops like yours in town then you might not be able to make a good living.

We had a couple of the old timer barber shops in the town I grew up in and they closed in short order after the cheap budget cut type places came in. The town we are in now still has a couple though. There is nothing that compares to a place that still is there for the customer and not just the dollar. Good service and good people skills go a long way for me. If you think you can get people in the door and keep em comin go for it.

mow lawns

Lawn services are always in demand in my area. A friend of mine and his brothers support three families very nicely mowing lawns. Cut hair and lawns and you will always have jobs to do. Both always need to be cut sometime.

There is a great old time barbers I went to in Dallas.
All the decor was period correct along with the furniture,but with a modern twist to the staff and music.
Younger staff that offered cut throat razor shaves and great hair cuts.
The place was really busy when we were there and the phone was too.
Bob

I use to go to a barber college and get $1 haicuts from the students years ago. My all time favorite barber was a young farmgirl with a Dolly Parton thing going on. She was very focused on learning the trade, and would hold the trimmers in her right hand and would take my forehead with her left hand and would firmly pull my head to her so I wouldn't move. She would concentrate on the haircutting and would stick her tongue out in the corner of her mouth and clip away.. I was the most groomed I've ever been--got a haircut every 2 or 3 days.. The most relaxing and funny haircuts I've ever got..

There was a toppless barbershop in Hotsprings AR a few years back. My wife wouldn't let me go there to get clipped, but I've always thought it would be a great business idea, based on my barber school experience..

PA41

I don't think any one would want me cutting there hair topless.:) If they did then I wouldn't want them in my shop anyway. I said MANS barber shop not gays, I mean guys.:eek:
I know in the city my barber is in he is only one of at least 5 traditional looking barber shops. 1 is an original 50's shop. Not 50's style really. But just old. Not kept up. A black guy runs it and not very well from what I've heard.
1 sold out because the guy was 83 and said when my barber moved in he lost 1/2 his clients to him.
The other ones look pretty run down even though I don't know much about them. The one I used to go to before I moved looks nice and traditional. Guy has old collectible cars on display, barber pole outside. But it's run by him and his 2 daughters. Supposedly they could cut my greasy pompadour. They couldn't. They actually complained about it most of the time.
My barber used to have a 50's style diner as well. He is thinking of opening another one again right by his barber shop. He is 74. If I can get his 3rd chair not being used, maybe in a few years I can take over his clients. His 2nd chair is used by a woman named Dottie. He said he would never have a female working in his shop, but she really needed a good place to go. She was at the place the 83 year old sold. The new guy was just out of barber college and thought he new everything. He got mad everyone would come to see her and not him. She is an older lady and seems kool to.

Hawleywoods is a kool shop. Something along those lines would be awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUXiPCEmaHY

I worked with a guy years ago whose Dad was a barber. Factory job. In the 80's we both got layed off and he learned his dad's trade and went to work with him. His 2 boys also went into barbering so they all worked together. The old man just recently gave it up but the other 3 plus 2 non family guys have a very nice man's barber shop. Hunting and fishing, car, and Harley stuff decorate the shop. Seems like they do all right.

Since almost all haircuts are paid for with cash, I imagine a guy could pocket a little without sharing with Uncle Sam, if you were so inclined.

Ol Blue, I'm an IRS auditor and I think I'll be taking a closer look at you!!!! Just Messin with ya!:D....CR

Hawleywoods is a kool shop. Something along those lines would be awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUXiPCEmaHY

They have some really cool shops, and some decent products as well, been using thier Layright Super hold for quite a while now.

I think it would almost be suprising how a shop like this could take off. Sort of make it an alternative shop just drenched in americana, may take a while to establish but it is a really cool idea, I know if there was something as such in my area I'd be there...

this just in................. irs is hireing 16,000 new employes to handle obbama care.
could be worse. could be obbamas food taster.
bs aside. i wish you and yours luck. its a whole new game.

Latest posts

Back