What to do? What to do?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sc5080

I'm going to blame this all on my buddy Dave. It all started when I bought a 671 blower core from him since I had never done a conversion myself and thought it might be fun. Then I realized I didn't have a motor to put it on, so I had to get a SBC project started. But then I realized I didn't have a car to put the motor in, so ......

Anyway, I decided to build a "nostalgia" type racer so I purchased a glass 23 T body, turtle deck and rad shell along with a perimeter frame for what I believe to be a very fair price. The jig welded frame was cheaper than I can buy the steel around here.

So, here is my dilemma. Should I build a 60's style Street Roadster (AA/SR) or a 60's style Altered or Modified Roadster. The SR allows only a 10% of the wheelbase engine set back measured from front spindle to #1 spark plug and will need front and rear fenders and lights. The altered will allow 25% setback and no fenders which would likely be easier to build.

I've attached a couple of very blurry cel phone pictures of early mockups but hopefully you can get the idea of what I'm trying to do. What do you guys think? Thanks for your input.

Attachments

• IMG00283.jpg
    IMG00283.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG00291.jpg
    IMG00291.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 65
I am going to build a little altered similar to the one you are talking about. Here is a picture I copied off of the HAMB of a car very much like what I want to build. It would be simple, cheap, and alot of fun.

Don

Altered... blown on a small load of nitro. [ddd

Who's Dave? This guy?

attachment.php

That's the guy. Dave is a good friend of mine and we've been to Meltdown with the Scout for the last two years. I just decided I wanted to have my own toy to play with down there and everything else I have is to "new". Don't know about the nitro though .. if I lose what's left of my mind I can put in my blown Chrysler wedge w/ 871 and bird catcher on alcohol. Makes about 1500 horses.

Last edited:
I am going to build a little altered similar to the one you are talking about. Here is a picture I copied off of the HAMB of a car very much like what I want to build. It would be simple, cheap, and alot of fun.

Don

If I do build the altered .. and it looks like the voting is going that way .. this is pretty close to what it will look like. Turtle deck instead of short pick up bed and a radiator in it. And, of course, the blower and a bug catcher injection that I've had laying around for a few years.

In the interest of fairness, I'll post a couple pictures of street roadsters that inspired me to consider building one ..

Attachments

• 2364193_orig.jpg
    2364193_orig.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 1784525_orig.jpg
    1784525_orig.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 24
That's the guy. Dave is a good friend of mine and we've been to Meltdown with the Scout for the last two years.

Lucky guess. :D

... if I lose what's left of my mind I can put in my blown Chrysler wedge w/ 871 and bird catcher on alcohol. Makes about 1500 horses.

That'll put lead in your pencil... and brown in your shorts.

Whatever you decide, please start a build thread so we can follow along...

Been tippin back a bit of the old hooch now have ya?

Oh boy......

Attachments

• funny-dumb-and-dumber-quotes.jpg
    funny-dumb-and-dumber-quotes.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 31
Dave is rather thrilled with this token of recognition that he received recently. Looking forward to Meltdown this year. I think we'll be taking two cars - the Scout of course, and a 53 Prefect with an injected SBC on alcohol. Should be fun. Don't expect to have my toy done by then though.

Attachments

• Meltdown poster.jpg
    Meltdown poster.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 17

Latest posts

Back