what to look for when buying front axle

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillip-r-s

I am getting ready to go shopping for a front axle for my old ford, and am just wondering what I should look for or look out for? Are some years better than others? Are any of them odd ball and hard to get parts for? And where are common places for cracks/imperfections? Just looking for a cheap front end, maybe I'm better off getting a new setup. And if so which is stronger i-beam or tube? What is your all's thaughts?

There is a lot of information that you'll need to collect before you start looking for an axle. First questions what frame are you using? ; what look are you going for? (dropped, standard, really low); how much weight load will the truck be carrying? ; what type of spring/springs? ; wishbones, hairpins, 4 link? ; type of steering (cross, traditional) ; what type of brakes?

Next you have to know the geomatry of the type of suspension you want to make sure it will function properly.

You can shop for NOS stuff on the web or at local swap meets. If this is your first build I would highly recommend buying a new kit from Speedway Motors or any other dealer. Doing so will at least guarantee that all the components will work together and you'll have new stuff.

Hope this helps.

We manufacture and sell drop tube axles and kits. Several of the guys on here have bought them from us. We also have the Ford spindles on sale this month for $150.00 a pair. They are new and come with the king pins and bushings already fit.

Yep, you need to have made some other decisions before you start looking for an axle. I guess you are talking about an original Ford I beam axle as made from 28-48? If so, don't worry about cracks, they are forged and I've never seen one cracked. You should look at the kingpin holes on each end to make sure they are perfectly round. Over time they can wear into an oblong hole and be sloppy. That is repairable, but not worth it as you can find so many others that are good.

One thing I see a lot is guys trying to use some of the later axles on a suicide or top of spring setup. Only the 28-36 axles work well for that type of suspension because the later ones have the spring perches moved out further and it causes the tire to be too close to the wishbone when you split them. It also makes finding an off the shelf aftermarket spring impossible, as those take a wider spring.

Oh, I just thought of something to look for. Make sure the axle is straight and not twisted. It should lay flat on the garage floor and if you sight down it look straight. If the car was in a wreck it could be damaged.

Here is a picture of all the early Ford axles that were made.

Don

axleID-1.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back