What to rough up the primer with on my steel wheels?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2.3Turbo_T

I'm about to paint my steel wheels red with Krylon rattle cans. I blasted them and then primed 'em with Krylon red primer spray paint. I want the color coat to stick. Should I sand them with dry 320 grit then get in the cracks and crevices with a red 3M pad or should I wet sand them with something like 600 grit? In my experience you wanna rough up the primer with at least 320 to give the color coat something to 'bite' into. Opinions?

I also like this idea that I stole from another board. It sure saves the arm when you've got 6-8 paint cans to shake up! 1 length of 1/4" aluminum stock, drill a hole and 2 hose clamps. Couldn't be simpler and works like a charm!

Hi 2.3. I roughed up my primer with 320 paper, dry and then squirted Krylon on and it came out very nice, but I can't tell you how well it will last because I haven't driven on the wheels yet. My wheels are blue, so that's the only difference in technique.

Red 3m pad will be good enough........you can alos buy a can of BULLDOG Adhesion Promoter. Do a test piece first if using the BULLLDOG....I never tried it on Krylon but used it allot with base coat.

Lungs

Latest posts

Back