What was your favorite car?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CR55

It's just a little surface rust!
After reading through another thread it got me thinking about the cars I've had over the years and let them go.:( I've had many muscle cars, sleepers,hot rods and trucks. It's hard to narrow them down to my favorite, but I think the 63 Falcon I had comes close to the top of my list. It was a Futura model with a 289 and a factory 4 speed, a true sleeper! That car took some serious 17 year old driver abuse and it never let me down! It was one of those freaky fast cars for what it was. I'm sure most of you can relate to that fact. I used to regularly beat my buddies new 396 Chevelle and another friend who used to buy big block Mopars as an almost weekly thing. Every time he bought a new one he came looking for me and I beat him every race, 318's, 361's, even a 383 Fury he had. I also beat a friends 65 Mustang fastback that had a serious 289. He had a look of astonishment on his face as he just couldn't understand how my car beat his!![cl I miss that car!:D What was your favorite?[S...CR

Back in 1979

Hard to choose really, there have been so many over the years. That said, after some thought, I would have to go with my 1st P15 Plymouth I had back in 1979. I was in the Airforce, and going to Aircraft System school. A tierod broke two days before I was supposed to be at my new duty station (Barksdale AFB in Louisiana). I was at Chanute AFB in Illinois at the time. There was a guy that been after my car since I had it. He took advantage of my youth, and despiration of having to be in LA in two days. He traded me a 1972 For Pinto to get me to Barksdale for my Plymouth. Like a dumbass I reluctantly took the deal, and took off for Barksdale. Regretted loosing that car ever since.

5680_100343976648068_100000173975723_7248_3000498_n.jpg

My favorite was a '57 Chevy 210 2 door hardtop. It had crushed velvet interior that looked stock, it even had the tube radio still. It had a 327 with a close ratio Muncie 4 speed and a 4:11 posi. It was red with a white top and white where the aluminum inserts go in a Bel-air. The car was very nice and very fast, I had friends with fast cars and I never lost in it. I was driving it to work in the sawmill and the ammeter wire caught fire and I had to have a friend tow it home. I always parked it off street but my friend parked it on the street. That night some guys were racing , a 76 Camaro and a Chevy truck. The truck rear ended my parked car at around 70. I know my car had no bondo because it bent the frame in 4 places, buckled the floor and trunk pans and buckled the roof. It shoved my car forward about 6 feet into my dad's pickup. I bought it back and kept the engine, I loved that car.

Two I wish I still had out of hundreds. One was my high school car, 64 Olds Cutlass 2 door hartop. White with red buckets. High compression 330 and 4 speed. The other would be the bone stock 66 442 I was second owner of. It was a bench seat coupe with 4 speed and 4.33 posi. That car made my 70 Chevelle SS396 look like it was tied to a tree.

There are so many I wish I still had...one was my 39 Plymouth.

ply3copy.jpg

That car was so much fun, and it went from running stocker to fun hot rod, in about 22 working days (it took just over 2 months total time, but it was only 22 days that we actually worked on it) 350, powerglide and sitting on an S-10 frame. Get in it and drive anywhere without any issues.

Probably if I were smart I would have hung on to the 64 Falcon Sprint convertable I had. Only had 17K on the body when I bought it in 77, but it was anything but stock. It had a 406 with a 427 crank, 3/4 race cam and it was topped off with the heads and two four intake from a Shelby GT 500. It was a 4 speed and the rear was a built posi 9 inch...but sorry no pictures:(

The guy who bought the car only wanted the heads and intake for his Shelby and sold the rest of the car for next to nothing (if only I knew better). There are rumors that the car may still be hiding in a garage somewhere in the area, but I haven't been able to find it yet

I had a blast..

My 49 Plymouth coupe (pictured above) was so much fun. When I was in Aircraft System school at Chanute AFB, me and a bunch of buddies used to cruise Champagne Ill (just south of us, and a college town) in it, and had a blast. College girls would just come up and jump in the ol' coupe. Was a coed magnet in 1979.

I had a friend that just bought a 1978 (this was still in 1979) Trans Am, and she used to brag about her car all the time. In fridgid mornings in December at Chanute, snow and ice all over, and her new TA wouldn't start. She used to give me so much crap about my "Old Car", and when I pulled up next to her TA (that wouldn't start) in my coupe and asked if she needed a ride to class, she HATED doing it, but she climbed into my warm 49 coupe and enjoyed that ride to class... lol.. She swallowed allot of pride, and I gave her hell about it all winter... lol

I will have to say that my '47 Ford Woody was the one I really miss, it had been given to me by my Dad who had taken it from a 68 HP flathead to a whopping 100 HP with all of the hot rod equip. he had put on it. - 3 97's,finned high comp. alum. heads, a Lake cam and a La Salle trans.

I'd have to say my favorite is the coupe I have right now. I've heard my dad say "I wish I had never sold that car" so many times that I hate to get rid of anything.

Latest posts

Back