What wheels?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rehoward

I am starting to shop around for components for a rat-rod project. So far the only item I have is a 9" Ford axle with a Detroit Locker spool. But it is a start. I plan to use a 130-1940's truck cab with a shorty bed. Probably build my own frame. I like the idea of using a Buick straight-8 for power because the cool factor is there.

I would like to use old wire wheels too. Ideally they would have the large Ford 5-bolt pattern but I think that probably is not possible since all the pics I have seen of old wire wheels seem to have a small hub. So that is one question; are old style wire wheels available that use the large Ford 5 lug bolt pattern?

And my next question is concerning strength of the wire wheel. Granted, I will be using a Buick straight-8 which isn't exactly a monster motor, but will the wire wheels stand up to the torque of the motor? I think I may want to supercharge it or do something unique to make it stand out, but I am sure HP will be under 300. Should I be looking at different wheels? If so, what?

And I may as well toss this question in too. Is there an automatic trans that will bolt up to the Buick engine and give reliable service? I like stick shift but traffic around here has become so bad that driving a stick tranny is a real PITA.

Thanks for any and all ideas.

Randy

the buick 8 is a heavy motor, and has some good torque, there are adapters I think from Binsons? They an adapt it to a couple different GM auto transmissions...

Just plan for some big weight out front when sizing your springs...

Thanks Dirtyrat,

I did a Google on "Binson's" and did not find anything. Are you sure of the spelling?

The straight 8 weighs about 830lbs. A BB Chevy weighs 685 and a 460 Ford 720. So not as much difference as I would have expected. Length is probably a bigger issue but this car will be driven fast only in a straight line. And usually not fast at all since fun is more the goal here. I still have a long way to go collecting parts and my plans may change by then. I would like to score a small blower to use, mostly for image.

Randy

Ah, got it. They are pretty proud $$$ of their product aren't they? Do any GM automatic transmissions bolt up to the straight-8 or do you have to use an adapter?

Randy

1935 Ford wire wheels are 16" with a 5 x 5.5 bolt pattern, same as a 60-97 pickup. They are highly prized in the traditional hot rod market and are priced accordingly. Earlier wheels are 17" and 18" I think.

Actually, the 5 X 5-1/2 bolt pattern goes at least as far back as 1952 for Ford pickups as I had a 1952 Ford 1/2 ton and that is what it had. I replaced the old flathead rearend with a 9" unit from a 1957 Ford station wagon and it worked fine with a few mods for shocks.

So what should someone be prepared to pay for a set of four 1935 wire wheels? Apparently 1935 was a good production year as they seem to pop up often.

I wonder though, will these wheels withstand speeds in excess of 100mph and the occasional "burn-out" with 8" tires or are they for light use only?

Randy

I just used those years for comparison, the 5 x5.5 goes way back. 1935 was the only year for 16", and the last year for wire wheels on Fords.

Properly rebuilt, 35 wires might be fine for what you want. But you have to consider you're talking about 78 year old wheels......do you want to trust your life and that of anybody else to wheels that old?[S

Latest posts

Back