What would you do?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busman

Last weekend I picked up an 283 sbc. The owner did not know much about the motor. I have another 283 sitting in the shop but two cyl are a little rough so I was hoping to find a better block. I also have a fresh forged 283 crank sitting on the shelf. We got the new motor home and started to tear it down. Took the heads off cylinders look good no ring ridge can still see hone marks in cyl. Got the pan off and found that someone had balanced the rotating assy.(crank, rods, pistons). This is an old balance job where they welded beads on the crank to add weight. It looks clean enough but not like they do today. The story I was told is that the motor was built early 70s and was in an MG midget. The guy I bought the motor from ended up with the car and pulled the motor out to run a 350.The motor looks good just needs freshened up. Would you just freshen up this motor or build one using fresh crank and new pistons.

Attachments

• DSC01270 (Medium).JPG
    DSC01270 (Medium).JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC01271 (Medium).JPG
    DSC01271 (Medium).JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 21
While I had the engine out of the car and that far apart, I would at least put new rod and main bearings in it and freshen up the heads.

I'd check the bearings for wear and clearance. Change the oil pump, check the timing chain. If everything is OK great.

You could go ahead and change out the bearings at this point. They don't cost much and its apart.

Gastrick, I was going to put new moly rings, cam, rod and main bearings, new freeze plugs and I have a fresh set of power pack heads. My biggest concern was the balance job. The motor doesnt look like it has very many miles on it. The way I understand it this was a racing project that was never finished?

Gastrick, I was going to put new moly rings, cam, rod and main bearings, new freeze plugs and I have a fresh set of power pack heads. My biggest concern was the balance job. The motor doesnt look like it has very many miles on it. The way I understand it this was a racing project that was never finished?

Busman,
I agree with Gastrick... since u already have the motor down this far it should be easy to check everything out. If u're concerned with the crank... have it checked too.

BoB

I would completely tear it down and replce all moving surfaces ,Old way we balanced is cool and works,so let that new crank on the shelf.Ive ran every chevvy over time and after the 327 its best.

Love those 283`s! Check it all out good, freshen it up, and go with it. We`re all about `ol school, so why not an old school balance job, they worked!

Latest posts

Back