WHAT?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

offroadrolls

Pretty sure I need some help in the hearing department. In the past year there's been plenty of red flags but, I just keep ignoring them. Then yesterday I was working on a project I've been fighting with for months. (DIY fuel injection on an old Volvo motor.) I've been trying to figure out why I couldn't get it to idle below 1000 rpm. Anyway, out of nowhere I thought I could hear a vacuum leak and sure enough I put a clamp on the brake booster hose and it idled down. Turns out it was broken tee with a 3/16" hole back by the fire wall and I could never hear it until it was gone, if that makes sense.
So, anyone here have em'? Hearing aids? It seems like an industry that's riddled with scams?

I sure need them, but I don't have them. I like the quiet. Friday night I was standing next to a top fuel cackle dragster. All the sound and fury of a nitro burning Hemi. No hearing protection. Wasn't too loud for me.

A friend who has had many hearing aids likes the ones he got at Costco the best. Says it is important to have a good technician tune them.

My wife says I have selective hearing. I hear what I want to hear, lol.

To a point, I think she might be right. I have tinnitus, a constant high pitched ringing in both ears. Probably caused by years of trucking, driving with the window cracked by my ear. Or maybe too much exhaust noise. I don’t know. Some sounds I hear fine, others, not so much so. My wife needs hearing aids, but is too stubborn to spend the money on them. Her Dad gave her her mothers, she says it helps a lot, but everything is too loud. I’ve tried to get her to get some of those rechargeable ones they advertise on TV, but she’s too stubborn to do that either.

Don’t guess I can be much help…

I’ve tried, Costco, a name I don’t recall and Eargo. pic attached. I went with Eargo. $1500 a pair. 4 programs you can adjust with a phone app. and small. I’ve used them for 2 months and like so far. IMO.

Attachments

• IMG_0529.jpg
    IMG_0529.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 8
I also have tinnitus, 26 years in a liquid latex plant which was a pipeline process of pumps of all types including the horrendous whistle of high pressure sonics. Cruising in a car with almost straight pipes doesn’t help

My kids tell me I talk too loud, which is another sign. But I tell them the reason I talk loud is because they don’t listen!

Yep... it's hell getting old! Too many years of blasting rock & roll I guess! I have some cheapie hearing aids & typically only use them when watching movies! I have tinnitus too! My main hearing aid is my wife... haha! What did he say?!?

BoB

Thanks for the input! I'm trying to hold out long enough to use medicare to help buy them when I'm 65 about 8 mos. out. My wife thinks that because I use Q'tips from time to time, my ears are full of wax. lol

Tinnitus "hear" as well ;)
From too much rock-n-roll and loud exhausts. Kinda' don't really regret anything - yet, maybe in a few years I might - ???

I'm not completely deaf yet. Something I've noticed over the years is while I can generally hear ok in a quiet area with people talking directly to me, I don't have a problem. Put any kind of motor in the same area running and all my ears will tune in to will be the motor. For those of you that have tinnitus, my Pop told me that every hearing aid he ever tried just amplified the ringing so he did mostly without in his later years.

Latest posts

Back