What's a good stick welder?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowbilly3

A *real* tin magnet
I'm thinking about buying a DC stick welder for the shop. Need opinions on which one. I already have a Miller 180 wire feed and an old SAE-200 portable.
I'd hardly ever burn more than 1/8" rod but want a good duty cycle at 100 amps.

hobart is owned by miller and is treated like a red head stepkid, that is why all the new hobart stuff is at places like home depot, tractor suppy, and lowes sometimes hard to get replacement parts. so if looking for a hobart look for a older one, if new go with the miller and the linc. i would say a 225 amp machine should do you. don't get a 110 volt machine you will never be happy with it, so you need 220 volts for it.

I've got an old Lincoln 225 buzz box, I think it came over on the Mayflower.:D It's rusty, the case is about to fall off, but it just keeps on welding. I think I payed $75 for it used about 30 years ago. I've welded thick and thin and cut with it , too. If I ever have to replace it, it will be with another Lincoln.

For years all I had was a Lincoln arc welder and it served me well. When we got the Mig and Tig welders the arc welder sat and collected dust, but was in mint condition. I sold it on Craigslist for $ 100 and like Bamamav, if I ever bought another one it would be a Lincoln.

Don

I also have an old timer lincoln. Don't know the model# but pretty sure it came over in the same crate as Bamamav's. Either that or the indians already had it using it to put up their Tee Pees. I got it from my grandpa and he had about 600ft leads on it and it still worked like a charm. I also have an old Sears Colormatic. It does a good job too.

The 225 Lincoln is in, my opinion, the all time best stick welder made.
If memory serves me right a Lincoln 225 is not AC/DC and Willowbilly said he wanted a DC welder.

if we are going to throw in the buzz boxes then i say my miller thunder ac it has a crank on it to feather the amps. the lincoln is what you will find in most garage's, as i am the only person i know that has a miller buzz box.

there was suppost to be a bolt after thunder

Last edited:
OK, no one asked this question.
Willowbilly, why do you want one that has DC ?
Is it because you want to do some tig work ?

Latest posts

Back