Whats the most annoying?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a T-shirt from Bonehead that pretty much sums up my attitude - It say's, "It's Done When It Runs" I like to wear that shirt around the billet boys. They all act like they don't care - but you can see in their faces that they strongly disagree with the shirt. Something that gets to me are people who tell you how you should build your project. I have a friend who persists in telling me what I should do to MY truck just because he has his own misguided opinions on what constitutes a rat rod. I've tried telling him It's all about individual choice and this is what I want. He lost interest in helping me build it because I have already decided what I want. I've also run into guys who I wanted to do some work on my truck. Basically a couple have said - unless you let me build it to suit me I'm not interested. Their ego's are out of control! Like I'm going to pay for some guy to build what he wants??? Yeah right!!

If some one comes up to you guys asking when is it going to be done or what color are you going to paint it just give them a generic answer like next year or bright blue. Those people will probably just continue walking since they aren't really interested in your work, they already have a picture in their mind of what they think would be a cool way to "finish" your rod if it were theirs. A true car nut, no matter what style of cars he/she is into, will see your car from a mile away and immediately appreciate it for what it is not what it could be (as long as it is built safe). They will be the ones that are worth talking to at the shows and cruises.

There was a comment earlier about the newest generation and their big mufflers and wings. Though I'm not into that scene, I try to be understanding of the way they build cars. In a lot of cases they are like you in that they are trying to build a fast car by themselves with a limited budget.

My main point is to engage in conversation with the people who have a true understanding of all things car and quickly but politely brush off those that do not.

I've been driving my primered 37 for about 19 years. It was painted for a very short time and then I didn't like the way it turned out and re-primered it again. Usually the first thing people ask me about the car is "what color is it going to be?". Nobody cares about the hundreds of man hours that went into chopping the top, making the trunk open sideways, tunneling the front turn signals into the fender , and doing the same with the taillights, plus all of the other mods that have been performed on the car. You could have the biggest piece of crap on the highway and as long as it has some shiny colors on it, people will love it. Some of the most intriging cars and trucks I have seen at shows and cruises have been "rat rods", and I almost hate to use that term because it conjurs up visions of crappy or otherwise unsafe vehicles in people's minds. And that bring s to mind the personalities of the 2 types of rodders. Rat rodders and The others. My views are usually that r/r's are some of the most down to earth people that will talk to you and offer assistance on anything you ask about their car, while a lot(not all) of the others are somewhat snobby! I used to go on several other car sites. but the people on some of them have left a lot to desire. I stick to a couple now and this is my favorite. I could Rant and Rave on here for a lot longer, but I'll stop!:D

we;ll i tell yall what, i catch so much crap around here for my rats! i wish everyone on here would invade blount co.!!! this place is all abou8t buff and shine billet kings!! and thats cool , i like a finish resto, but i dont run folks down cause i would have did it different, and cause they had the money to write a check to do their car, man if i had the money i would build mine a little different in some areas , like well cant think of anything but completely rbuilt, enigines , run straight shifts anyways, new carbs, and new exhuast, but other than that nothing different, then again dont think i would pay someone else to do what i love! that would be like hiring, someone to date your wife!!!! :D

Roofus is a long ways away from the actual drop-dead decision date to paint or not, but I have been thinking about it. There are 3 main themes so far:

New Paint It would be nice to have it all straight and shiney.

Old Paint It would also be neat to have it painted with paint that went to hell quickly so that it looked like it was a 30's racer barn find.

No Paint It would also be cool for people to see that the shape of the car is made up of free junk.

Latest posts

Back