whats the trick to knocking on someones door for old tin.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yone187

i found some old tin getting forgotten in the weeds by my house. just wondering what in your opinion, is the best approach to towing those out of there for them. ha ha just caught a glimpse of them and they look cherry

The thing about old cars is that somebody owns them, regardless of if you can readily find them or not. Best to do some research and find out who if anyone still has an interest in them before you go dragging them out of there. You could get a visit later on by someone wearing a badge, or way later on after you have put your hard earned money into it, and they come with an order to pickup "their car." It has happened.

Don

I agree. The car did not just show up there. Someone in the family may have driven it or it was bought as a project by someone there. Either way, to them it may not be just an old car. It may turn out they would like to have it hauled away, but that is not how you start off.

Yeah, someone on another board... I think it was KB was met with a handgun while removing an "abandoned" car. Probably not a good idea.

BoB

if your not sure who owns the propertytry going to the courthouse see who pays the taxes,then go from there it can be lengthy but but sometimes you get the prize

if your not sure who owns the propertytry going to the courthouse see who pays the taxes,then go from there it can be lengthy but but sometimes you get the prize

I agree, this is the best way. A lot of prize finds can be found in and around barns too! Sometimes I show an interest in photographing and old barn, and the next thing you know they are opening it for you. Last that happened, a guy had a 40 ford sitting there but his son didnt let him sell it to me.

ha ha sorry if i confused you but i was asking on what you guys ask and approch the people that own the property. i know someone owns the car cause there are 4-5 houses on the property. i would never just tow it away.

Saw somewhere where the people wouldn't sell a car to a guy & a couple weeks later he sent his wife & she gave them a sad story about how she wanted to buy it for her husband for his birthday... it worked! Ya never know!!! :D:D:D

BoB

As a young male you are a threat. Take a friendly smiling female of any age with you. A puppy would be an excellant prop. Enthusiasm, good manners.
I used to sell door to door. Selling magazine subscriptions we used to say " Hi! I live down the street i just came by to see you" many times they invited us right into the house. I loved it, met some wonderful folks.

sometimes if i have my eye on something and im going by often i'll try to catch them when i see someone outside. Seems to me that may be a little less intrusive. Going up to someones door, you just never konw if its a good time to bother them or not. At least if they are outside they see you coming. On the other hand I would never be in a bad mood if people came to my door offering money. You never know until you try, or until you see someone else getting what you wanted.

Saw somewhere where the people wouldn't sell a car to a guy & a couple weeks later he sent his wife & she gave them a sad story about how she wanted to buy it for her husband for his birthday... it worked! Ya never know!!! :D:D:D

BoB

That story reminded me of this one...

There was a 73 Mach 1 that use sit around here for years, and everybody and there brother tried to buy it... I stopped and ask about it one time and the ol boy said I reminded him of his son that had died and sold it to me on the spot, and cheap to boot.....

So some times it's just the luck of the drawl...

Just be you, be normal. Show up with fancy flashy rings and jewellery, expect to pay more. Show up ragity and such, and you turn them off. The first 30 seconds will make, or break you. Be polite. If they say "No it's not for sale." thank them for their time. Ask if it's alright to leave them your name and number, in case the situation might change in the future. The slip of paper or card you leave may get tossed before you hit the street, but it may also get tucked up by the phone. I've had that happen, got called the next fall. Nothing magic about it, you just have to be at the right place at the right time. Sniper

In about 1968 or 9 I used to drive by this one house on the way home from work and thought I could see the front end of an old car sticking out from some bushes. I never stopped as I was too anxious to get home, but one day I had some extra time and stopped.

As I was starting to get out of my car a lady came out of the house and asked if she could help me. I told her I saw the old car there and wondered if it might be for sale. She said it belonged to her husband and when I asked when he might be home so I could ask him she said "Well, the SOB left me and didn't even leave me money for cigarettes!:(" She then said "Give me $15.00 and it's yours!":eek:

The car was a 32 Ford pickup that was once a hot rod. Chopped, channeled, sitting on a hacked up frame, but it had a 37 Ford tube axle under it and was a roller. I ran home got the towbar, handed her $15 and was out of there in a flash. I bet if he ever came back to her he immediately killed her for selling his car. :p:D

Don

be polite and tell them who you are and why your stopping. BTW, it does help if you say your from around there, dont get into any details, change subject if it gets deep. if they say its not for sale, say thank you and be nice. go back in 2 months and ask if they thought about selling it anymore. half the time they will realize its a chance to sell. helps if you have the money you are willing to pay on the spot and if they say for how much, you tell them your offer and then dont say anything. the next person that speaks loses.

saw the owner of the lot yesterday! old new mexican man, had a younger dude helping him out of a handicap van. didnt have time to stop and talk, was on the way to work. going to take my hispanic friend with me haha around this town he (my friend) is most likely to be part of the family.

My daughters have always been the driving force in the acquisition of old tin and what nots. We use the simple element of two girls trying to learn the old skool ways. My 10 year old is doing a welding sculpture this year for school.
Most the boys wouldn't even think about learning to use the MIG, yet she is my prize shop rat.:D:rolleyes:

Maximo

I take my two year old grand daughter with me, I have her trained to just say "O-car, O-car" over and over...after that there's nothing left but to figure out how to load it up.

Latest posts

Back