What's wrong with this picture

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again, it's hard to see the proportions in those pics. This un-clutters it a bit. That cab is so short - front to back, you need to keep the rear wheels close to keep it balanced. I think you could move the radiator back about 4-6" and stil look good. In the end, it seems you know what you want and are looking for an easy fix. I don't think there is one. Either shorten your frame or live with it as is.

If you post a good side shot without the background clutter, someone would photochop it any way you want to see it.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 48
I think move the motor and radiator both back a few inches, and lower the radiator to match cowl height. I like the rear end length. Also maybe try a forward rake (lower the front susp). Just me but it makes it look a little meaner.

Lower the front or raise the rear a bit so it has maybe 2-3 degrees of rake.
It does look stretched with the wheels back there but I think if you run a bed it would look better once you get some flesh back there.

Looks like you have good room for taking a beer keg and stretching it longer for a fuel tank to fit tween the rails tucked behind the cab maybe half buried in the bed floor?

When I build my bobber I'm thinking instead of V'ing the frame I'm going to run swingarm rear suspension with my frame rails dropping UNDER the rear axle... or the frame stops at the rear axle and the bed box build of heavier guage and the rear of the bobber be unibody with the frame.
Suspension loads carried by frame. frame stops at axle. bed is boxed and hangs back. built strong enough to support bumper and hitch.

I've got a way to tuck airbags in between the swingarms and the frame rails so I might have a bed low as you see on bobbers but at least 2 feet deep for actually hauling stuff

Myself and bikes I don't like how short choppers are built in the frame by most everyone.
I don't like the feeling I'm sitting on top the back tire and it exaggerates the front of the bike so when I do get a bike I'm building mine with the rear tire kicked back about 10" from conventional
I always liked the kawasaki's lowered with the extended swingarms and the forks raked which I prolly why I would build a v twin chopper that way.
No arlin ness clone for me
aftermarket v twin mill with the driveworks tucked in tight to the bike keep it skinny. thinking capt'n america or billy bike with an extended swingarm

I look at bobber trucks and I see a 4 wheeler chopper. I think that's the essence of "the look"

Thanks everyone for the pointers and ideas.
I've made the big decision and the chassis is getting shortened by 6".
I did quite a bit of work at the rear with the ladder mounts etc so the easiest thing (i think) will be to move the body and motor back accordingly and then remount the front x-member.
I dropped the front end about 3" just to see how it looked and it made a vast improvement..
Watch this space I guess, I'll update when we're done.
Thanks again folks.:cool:
Roddguy,
Smax is a Top Fuel driver so I guess you could say that. His Son Aiden also drives an Altered.

Last edited:
I firts mocked up mine and realized i wanted a longer bed. My bed is about 56". 4' was to short IMO. I agree with tightening up the engine to firewall though. Looking good.

You may want to take a look at my build, it is something that may interest you...I to agree that the front should come down,motor closer to the cab and rad shell closer to the motor....I would also lower the cab somemore.....my 2 cents worth....keep buildin!!!!

Latest posts

Back