Wheels To Fit 42-48 5 on 5.5 Hubs

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old28

Looking for a little help on what early ford spoke wheels will fit a 42-48 ford
5 on 5.5 hubs. They are going on a vintage drag car that has hubs with the brake drum removed.

Would like to keep them as narrow as I can and 15" or 16" as the tires are a little easier to get.

I know very little about these older rims:confused:

Thanks, Tom

wheels

Thanks for the information dmw56.

Trying to get as small a tire on the front and I can get 5.00-16 that work fine on a 3.5-4.5 rim.

Can you tell me how wide a 35 16" wheel is?

Does this rim have a 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern?

Will it fit the hub without a spacer? (remember no brake drum on hub)

Just trying to get it all right the first time, not a lot of cash to be buying stuff that will not fit.

Thanks, Tom

Please rethink not running front brakes. You won't like it much, especially when it's wet. And if you should ever have an accident it sorta automatically leans the blame in your direction. Skinny back tires (as opposed to those 15 inch wide ones some T buckets run) also make for scarey braking with only back brakes.

Just sayin'.

Don

wheels

dwv56 -- Thanks for the additional information on the 16" rims. Are there any 17 wheels that are about 3.5 to 4" wide with 5 on 5.5 BP? I checked Coker last night and they have a few narrow tires that will fit 17" rim.:confused:

donsrods -- Thanks for the concern and it is taken well, I have all four on my 29 old school RPU that I just finished. ;) Even with four wheel brakes it's interesting when it's wet on those narrow 600/700 BP 16 tires.

Just for general information I am getting parts together to build a HA/GR HAMB vintage drag race car. No brakes on the front, big 9" Ford rear with 11" drum brakes as per the style of the time.

My 29 Ford RPU, all steel, complete with bullet holes in cowl, 15 month project.

Attachments

• Our 29 RPU Pics 002.jpg
    Our 29 RPU Pics 002.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 11
I used the '35 wires on my '30 PU with blackwall 16's made by NANCO, good tires but they are trailer tires. I run about 10 lbs of air with no sidewall deflection. Handle well and stop good, I'm happy with this tire/wheel combo!

Wheels

dmw56 -- Thanks again, it looks like my choices are 1935-16" or
1933/34-17". The tires through Coker were about the same price
for 16" or 17".

Steve-o -- Thanks, I have seen those tires for sale over on the other board
classifieds and they are a little less expensive. I am going to run them on
the front on a vintage HA/GR dragster and will need to run 25-30 PSI air pressure. I need to find the smallest diameter tire I can, a 4.50/5.00 x 16"
would be the best.

On my HA/GR dragster (the build is near the top of the "Builds" section) I went to the local motorcycle shop and got some free 16" tires. A little too worn for a super bike at high speed but fine for quarter mile blasts in a slow dragster. You need to investigate if 1935 Ford spokes can be used on later drums/hubs without spacers. Not for the bolt pattern but for correct seating of the rim.

Wheels

Hi Bob --I have a pair of hubs that have been split from the drum, they are 43-48 5x5.5 that I would like to run spokes on front and will make sure on the rim/hub fit. I will look into MC tires at our local shops as I new you put them on your car.

If it looks like it will not work I can still run some regular steel rims. I saw some 15" x 5on5.5 for sale, I thought they were all 16" in regular steel rim. Would love to run a narrow 15" rim with 4.50/5.00 tire on the front.

In the process of getting parts together for a SDRA car. More Later[dr

Got Hubs & Spindles !!!! Need -2- Spoke Wheels

Well I got the hub and spindle problem taken care of and now I am looking for some spoke wheels for the dragster project.:)

Does anyone out there have any wheels that they would part with?

Looking for a pair of 1933-34 17" spoke wheels or pair of 1935 16" spoke wheels with Ford 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern.

Need to be in good runner condition as I have not the tools or background to repair them. I can blast and repaint as needed.

Latest posts

Back