When someone wants to borrow something

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in a little but of a different situation with my stuff. Most of the guys who would want to borrow stuff have worked for me at one time or another and have already used my stuff without me being around. One of my former employees borrowed one of my trailers to go half way across the country and I never thought twice about saying yes. But I also know that if I ever needed anything that they wouldn't hesitate to help with anything.

Oh yeah, that is another pitfall, people think because you play with old cars you are a mechanic and they want you to repair their daily drivers for them. Don

Exactly! I run into this alot. I had a buddy who bought a '64 caddy convertible off ebay, against my advice, which was a total p.o.s. He'd call me up and ask if I could fix this or that b/c he had a party or concert to go to...that I wasnt even invited too! Like I just love to change exhaust manifold gaskets or something on a Saturday afternoon. :mad:[S

I only loan tools to the very few people I know who are gearheads. They understand the value of tools and the frustration of not having one b/c someone else has it.

Otherwise I tell them that HF has one cheap and here's the address.

I learned a lil trick from my dad who was a mechanic. I engrave all my tools with my name and I also have a little sign in my shop that says, "No, I don't lend my tools so please don't ask"!

Toad

I have the signs, don't seem to help those who can't/don't read,lol.
I just had to lie my way out of loaning a trailer this morning. It was my brother in law who wrecks everything he touches and he wanted to borrow it for his buddy who is an even worse clod. Since we live in the same compound, he knows both trailers are setting there. Well, the one I just built isn't quite ready and the other one is getting loaded with scrap iron today. So now I have to go hook up to it and take it to a friend's house.
I don't know about where any of you live but I live in ranch country and when you screw a cowboy hat on, all your brains about anything mechanical just evaporates. These cowboys wreck their own brand new pickups so why would they take care of anything of some one else's.

Willowbilly3;332454 These cowboys wreck their own brand new pickups so why would they take care of anything of some one else's.[/QUOTE said:
You're speaking of folks who's idea of a tool box is a BFH, a screwdriver and a pair of vice grips in their back pocket.
If there's anything around the oil has leaked out of from a bad seal it get's pumped full of grease lol I used to bail hay when i was a kid... I know.

altruisms are for people who can't think for themselves.

I loan tools to my neighbor a few friends and brothers because I like to borrow theirs.
If something get's broke... you just have to get them a new one "it wasn't broke when I loaned it to you"

I try to avoid loaning my tools to people I don't know when I’m not around

the difference between a friend and a chump:
A friend will never blame the broken tool he borrowed from you on your cheap tools.
A chump will never replace your broken dollar store screwdriver he borrowed with a snap on or a craftsman.

Take a look at what they are working on... If it's obvious they don't know how to take something apart correctly of fix it right it's probably a given they don't know how to use a tool right either.

Never loan tools to this guy

hat.jpg

Latest posts

Back