Where to start? 38 Ford PU

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountain

I am going to put my 38 Ford PU on a 1988 Ranger frame and I need a jumping of point. Is it possible to put the motor (351W) on the frame before I put the cab on or is that putting the cart before the horse? Should I put the cab on and then figure out the engine placement? This is a first for me and I am kind of lost. Thanks!

38 pu

Well mountain you could go eathere way a 351W takes the same mounts as a 302 an that sell kits to put those in a ranger just look up V8 ranger kits on the internet for more ideas but your 38 cab souldent be much bigger than the ranger cab

Get a kit to put your motor and trans in your ranger frame, then place your cab on the frame where it looks good to you. try to place the cab on the frame outside so you can stand back a good distance and look it over and make adjustments.

I usually put engine, trans and rear in and let that dictate where the cab will go. I mock everything up first but have run into trouble in the past so I place the motor/tranny and go from there. I can measure 100 times and still have trouble with dizzy etc. :eek:

Toad

thanks for the tips. I think I will just put in the motor and trans like suggested and go from there. Whats the worst that can happen :confused: When I get to it I will post some pics so everyone can see what I have done. Thanks!

You might want to check out some of Donsrods threads. He uses 2x4's to mock his frames up and I started doing the same. It really helps! Good luck and keep us posted!

Beercan

Full fendered or open wheeled? I am doing my 38 on an S10 chassis. Put the 305 engine right where it was supposed to go. No kits just stock motor mounts. The trucky thing is shortening the front of the frame to fit it all under the early ford sheet metal. The old trucks have the wheels way out in front compared to the newer ones. I cut the S10 frame heads all the way back to the steering gear box. I still have a tight space for the radiator in front of the engine. A pusher electric fan is on order. I still have about 2 inches of room between the distributor and the firewall, so I might slide the engine back a bit more.

I think you're gonna find that plunking that Windsor right where it would sit in a stock Ranger would be a mistake...:(

I'd place the cab and front clip first, THEN set the engine/trans in place and build mounts.[;)

Just my $0.02. Take it for what it's worth. In U.S. dollars, two cents CDN, I'd probably owe you money!:D

Regards,
Shea:)

Latest posts

Back