Where's the brake pedal?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryH

Last Sunday my son and i came out of Costco and there's a couple of guys checking out the T-Bucket. I answer the usual questions for Guy Number One. Guy Number Two ask "Where's the brake pedal?" I point to the brake pedal and say "Right there". He gets this funny look on his face, points to the shifter and says "It's not a stick?". "Nope. I just chopped down the shifter handle and welded it on to the shifter linkage". I guess the chopped down Mr. Gasket handle, dice shifter knob and old Hurst shifter boot had him fooled.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 79
Gee... not sure he woulda thought that shifter looking thing was a shifter? :D Woulda fooled me too. Too cool!

I get that same question ALL THE TIME!:confused: I have had more than one person say to me "Ok, I'm confused. I see a shifter but only a brake pedal, where is the clutch pedal?" I have to explain that it is a Lokar AUTOMATIC shifter, as the car has an automatic transmission.:rolleyes:

I thought what was throwing them was my tall shifter, but in your case they should know better. :) I also had a guy at a rest stop say to me "Man, you really get the mileage out of your rear tires, don't you? But at least I don't see any cords showing." It took me a minute to understand that he thought I had BALD tires on the back, so I explained they are dragster slicks. I still don't think he got it.:p

Don

I love some of the reactions people have when they see a hot rod. I've gotten everything from "that can't be legal" to " you need to put a flag on a pole on the back of that thing, it's so low someone is going to run over you!" :eek::) I had one lady ask me what year it was and I said "1923." She said, "Wow, I didn't know cars looked like that back then!" :D

I love it when civilians come up and ask questions, you never know what you are going to get. :D

Don

I had a couple in a BMW convertible, next to me at a red light, ask, is that thing safe. I said, safer than a motorcycle. We all laughed and agreed.

For at shows and cruises you should mount a bike cycle hand brake to the steering wheel and run the cable under the dash. That should get some reaction. But then again I like messing with peoples mine at those thinks. ( I get bored easy)

Just tell them this was back before cars had brakes and see what they say. And have a camera ready for their reaction! [ddd

Beercan

Latest posts

Back