Which way will it go? Up or down?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamamav

Got my rear shock cross member bolted down, now I'm moving to the front. I am going to have to drop the wishbone about 2" to clear the trans pan. I plan on building a mount that bolts to the stock cup mounting bolt holes, and uses two lower cups bolted together to hold the wishbone. The original top cup half is made to the factory cross member. My mount will also have addition mounting points to keep it from collapsing due to the extra height.

My question is, when I take the bottom cup off, which way will the wishbone go, stay up or drop down? The front end is sitting with the weight on the tires. I just want to know so I won't be surprised if it does go down when it comes loose, I don't want a knot on the noggin! :D

Where is the spring positioned in relation to the axle ? If it is behind the axle I would think it would exert some downward pressure on the wishbone. If it is on top of the axle, it could go either way, but maybe the positive caster would put some downward pressure on it too.

Hard to tell, start releasing the bolts and see if the ball breaks away from the socket or if it stays planted there. Put a jack under it for insurance though, or put a chain around the wishbone and frame as a limiter so it can only drop down a little bit.

Every one I have done I think I had to jack the wishbone up to get it to seat, so that makes me think it will drop down on you too.

Don

The spring mounts on the front of the wishbones, in front of the axle. I'm thinking it will stay up, just not sure if the spring pressure wouldn't force it back or down.

Are the top nuts on the cup bolts captive nuts or are they loose?

Last edited:
On the front would make me think it would shove the back of the wishbone up, like a lever. Not sure about the nuts, been too many years since I saw one, but I kinda think loose.

Don

Thanks Don! This is my first go around with a buggy spring suspension, I'm learning as I go. Going to try and pull the cup off in a little while and start making brackets.

With the weight of the vehicle on the suspension.
Spring in front of axle, wishbone pressure up.
Spring behind front axle, wishbone pressure down.

Latest posts

Back