Why is Pre '65 important?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Emu

I'm new to the Rat Rod and traditional rod scene. I have been noticed some shows and events are advertised for being for cars built before 1965. Why is this year significant?

Does it include cars that the body did not change after 65? What if minor changes were made?

After all the Beetle was made until 2003. If someone built a volks rod starting with a 2001 Mexican beetle would they be excluded? What if the customization removed some or most of the features that were changed in later versions of the car? Such as the removing the huge back window on later VWs and replacing it with a earlier style window.

Shouldn't the style and personality of a car matter more than a date plate? Can a rusty Prius, slamed, chopped with wide whites on artilery wheels and a stripped interior ever be cool?

Like 42 chevy said it is to keep the muscle cars out. So shows had a 1963 cut out because the first Mustangs were 1964 1/2.

There a local street rod club that for there show the cut off date is 1948

Years ago there was a show that in the street rod class the engine could not be newer then 1963.

The rule are up to the club/person running the show.

Yeah, 1964 is when muscle cars took over the dragstrips and the streets. Old style hot rods became obsolete old cars.

The same thing happened again when the 5.0 mustangs got out of control in the late 80's. A decent muscle car couldn't compete with a vortec supercharged mustang. Lots of people parked their old camaros and chevelles.

^^^^ Yup, just what those guys said. It's to keep the muscle cars out. Those cars basically began to take over in 65 as already stated. Not that there is anything wrong with muscle cars, but most shows and organizations that cater to older cars like to keep the era of the muscle car seperated from their group as they represent something entirely different, from an automotive history standpoint. It may be difficult to put into perspective by the younger generations. For example, my 16 year old son thinks a car from the 1970's is ancient, but I remember when those cars were new so they don't seem that old to me. There are still some people that don't recognize anything newer than 1948 as hotrod/streetrod material.

And there you go, can't explain it any better than that!!!

Great job guy's!!

I will add one thing, with the NSRA opening up the limit on age, these lines are going to get more and more blurred!!
Personally I like having limits on some shows, and having open shows too!!!
There's just about anything any individual would want out there, all you have to do is look for it!!

What I still don't understand are the guys who display a brand new Camaro or Vette (as an example) at a show........something you can see on any dealers lot. :confused:

Don

What I still don't understand are the guys who display a brand new Camaro or Vette (as an example) at a show........something you can see on any dealers lot. :confused:

Don

Ya, I see that here at most shows. The Corvette club shows up at almost every car show,most are 06 and newer,seen one, seen them all. Not that i have anything against vettes,or late model Mustangs,but they look like the same cars at the dealers lots.

Ya, I see that here at most shows. The Corvette club shows up at almost every car show,most are 06 and newer,seen one, seen them all. Not that i have anything against vettes,or late model Mustangs,but they look like the same cars at the dealers lots.

Yea, that happened at the NSRA show in Springfield Mo. this past memorial weekend.
There was a brand new Mustang with an aftermarket 69 Mustang front end that the officials weren't even smart enough to tell the difference.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:[S[S[S[S[S
I think what happens it frustrates the people who put a lot of time and pride into their build and then. oh well I'm done Sorry!!

OK, so "Muscle Cars" get their own shows. That makes sense.

But I'd still like to know, What happens when someone builds a car with a original build date after '65, but the customization of the car is more early hot rod style? What if the body didn't change in the 1965 model year?

OK, so "Muscle Cars" get their own shows. That makes sense.

But I'd still like to know, What happens when someone builds a car with a original build date after '65, but the customization of the car is more early hot rod style? What if the body didn't change in the 1965 model year?

Lots of 1949-53 chevy pick-ups have been entered into street rod shows as 1948 models. Most show organizers don't care.

At the hot rod reunion however, I am told they made somebody in a customized 1972 corvette prove that it was in fact a '72 before they would let it in.

You're just getting stuck on 65, there are many different cut-off's for different show's!!!Pre 49, pre 67, you have period shows, muscle car shows, nostalgia shows, the list goes on and on....

cut off dates

Every one has a good point, the new age muscle cars will soon have there place in the sun, the fox body stangs, were some very fast cars, compaired to old muscle cars, but the new cts-v beats them all, so what ? is a muscle car anymore, My brother has a beautiful 90 fox stang, custom paint, built motor, a procharger supercharger and yes he is running 21 lbs. of boost, lots of blood sweat and tears in that car, it draws a crowd everywhere, but when the mustang club has a show, it's always the new stang with a few chrome bolt on's that win's the trophy, we just quit going. I am a fan of all cars, I go to different shows all the time, but every one of those shows has a theme. build what you like and have fun with it, why do you need a name for it, call it a fun car, or the other car, what ever makes you happy, were all here to have fun and learn new tricks from the old dogs. my .02

I've got nothing against the car itself (PT), it's just that because you put some hubcaps on it, and flame decals, you do not have a custom car!!

I actually would love to have one of the bodies, (just the body) to build a car out of!! Lots of possibilities!!!

What if it was no billet and you only had a billet mirror and whined your way in and then some other guy has billet valve covers, air cleaner and steering wheel and he whines that they let you in with billet so why can't he get in so they have to let him in and then some total billet club whines that other cars with billet got in so why can't they all get in and their lawyers threaten to have the show canceled if they can't get in. Pretty soon your no billet show has turned into just what you wanted to avoid.
If a promoter wants to maintain a certain flair and sets a cut off date, live with it.

Latest posts

Back