Willys daily driver Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshjones

Hey Guys,
I'm new to this forum and building cars. I’ve been into motorcycles for the past 16 years. When I was 14 years old I saw a primer grey Willys pickup and thought it was the neatest looking pickup I’ve ever seen. 14 years later, I had a chance to purchase one for $1,300. It started up and ran, but it was very rough and still is.
I drove it home and quickly learned that it wasn’t going to fulfill my dream of driving a Willys back and forth to work. I started to contemplate what to do.
I love the reliability of the Toyotas and Nissans and thought that a body swap / Frame swap was due. The Toyotas were common but didn’t have the best MPG(important when you want to drive back and forth to work everyday). They also called a premium price in CO. I had a 1989 D21 Nissan when I was in high school and remember getting close to 30MPG often. They also were a little cheaper than then Toyotas.
I looked and asked around and it seemed that Lots of people had success doing a body swap from an older Truck to a modern S10 pickup, but my experience with the little Jap pickups reliability set me on a Nissan or Toyota. I also wanted fuel injection.
After searching Craigslist very aggressively for a few weeks I landed a donor. It showed a mere 130k and sported wide rims (necessary for the willys) and bought it for $1,300.
A little measuring and it seemed feasible.

After tearing apart the Nissan, I had a load of random parts, wires and switches that looked like a 50, 000 piece puzzle with no picture. My neighbor even came by and bet that I would never hear it run. Thank you for the confidence…
Using a tractor loader, both bodies were off. I had to remove the front fenders and grill to get the cab over the Nissans frame. I soon discovered that the stock Nissan body mounts in the front needed to be cut off for the body to fit where it should. I was able to flip them over and weld them back to the frame and catch the stock Willys mounts using the Nissan Rubbers. SCORE!
The motor needed the fan removed, a different radiator (thank you 1964 ford Falcon) and I installed an electric fan. I had to build a frame for the radiator to sit in.
I mounted the computer under the passenger seat and somehow was able to hear it run. I was able to use the stock Nissan brake and clutch pedal assembly with the help of a small wood spacer. I also scored some clearance lights at good will for $4.
My neighbor has some treated lumber and I had a few dimensional 2x12’’ and 2x8’’ and I built a flatbed. My wife painted a little symbol on the rear and that’s about all the more I have finished in the last 6 months. I still have more to do, but its been a fun build!

Attachments

• IMG_4106.jpg
    IMG_4106.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_4565.jpg
    IMG_4565.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_5269.jpg
    IMG_5269.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1121.jpg
    IMG_1121.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_5373.jpg
    IMG_5373.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1155.jpg
    IMG_1155.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_8938.jpg
    IMG_8938.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_6016.jpg
    IMG_6016.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0192.jpg
    IMG_0192.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_4068.jpg
    IMG_4068.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 73
Lookin good. You might try putting the front bumper back on. To me, that helps clean up the lines a little. It'll be a fun little truck and, if you're like me you'll soon be thinkin about a bigger motor :D My Willy's build thread is in my signature. Started out with a Toyota ;)

Lookin good. You might try putting the front bumper back on. To me, that helps clean up the lines a little. It'll be a fun little truck and, if you're like me you'll soon be thinkin about a bigger motor :D My Willy's build thread is in my signature. Started out with a Toyota ;)

thank you!
I do plan on installing one/building one. I bought a double 3" tube but it looks like a snow plow on the front of the little guy instead of a bumper haha.

I'll have to check out your thread!

Maybe look for a old simple and basic truck bumper that is at least close to an original Willys bumper. That way it's not bulky but adds that finishing point to the front.

Latest posts

Back