wont start when hot

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hankthebigdog

I just put a new cam and lifters in my 29 [400cid ford]. starts great when cold, but run her about 15- 20 miles and warmed up good and it wont start. put in a new battery, new starter and a new soleinoid. checked the timing and readjusted it . help if ya got any idaes. Before the cam implant, started great with no problems.
cam is a comp cam 270/519 magnum

Does it turn over good and won't start ? Ignition problem
Won't turn over when warmed up ? Battery cables aren't big enough diameter
Turns over slow when warmed up ? Battery cables aren't big enough diameter

coil?

most fords and mopars have external coils, my aunt's dart ran fine till the engine got warm. the problem was the coil got warm and quit, cooled down, start go about 1O miles, stop when warm, cool down go fine till warm, well you get the idea.

Later :cool:

Cables

Ford always had problems like that and always it was a ground problem make sure you have the engine grounded to the chassis

I assume it will still run after it gets warm but once you shut it off it won't start.

Did you only add a new cam or did you change the headers also?

It could be as simple as the starter getting hot and then not cranking.

I had one that did it all the time. HAd to push start it many times.

Added a heat barrier and it went away.

Had that problem on a car years ago and it was caused by the starter being wired backwards. [S

Zipper

Another problem could be vapor lock. I had a T Bird that would do that so I grabbed the metal fuel line running from the pump to the carb and pulled it further away from the block. That cleared it up.

You haven't clarified for us if the car cranks but won't kick, or just won't crank. Those are two entirely different situations. Which is it ?

Don

Never saw a cam cause that type of problem unless

the motor was built with tons of compression.....need to know a bit more info on the no start.....I'm assuming that with a battery, starter and solenoid it was cranking slow when hot.... if the timing is correct then hot soak is the problem.....wires too small, poor ground..did you ground it to anything aluminum....intake, bracket etc.... or as Don said, perculation of the fuel if it cranks ok but won't start.... then you have coil, etc...etc...etc..... back to the basic's here....gotta have good power, gotta have good ground so on and so on.....JMHO...

Thanks for the input. I put cam inand the next morning I decided to start from scratch. I found alobe down on the #2intake. I did as the instructions said, used additives recommended and all, run it as reqauired for break in, etc. sooooo, had to strip it down, clean and rinse and repeat to try to salvage the motor. I put the orininal back in and it was all go . Normal. I am now waiting on a replacement from company on new cam. hot rodding.....sometimes get on my nerves and my patience are small.

I did ck all of the recommendations above. ran new ground. moved fuel line, etc. Oh well live and learn.
thanks for all the input

B u m m e r!!!!

What the heck....??? Are they making cams out of plastic?? Or oil out of fryer drippins???? What terrible issues did the zinc cause anyway?? [S Oh well, you've got a handle on it so there you go....the zinc thing was a rhetorical question by the way......:D

Latest posts

Back