work begins on 39 chevy.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
finished bolting in the seats .just set the timing by ear re checked the float level.I was closin the shop doors to go on its maiden voyage when my kids show up we all pile in and took off on about a 20 mile ride .the only problem was as small bit of tire rub on the rear tire because of the worn out old springs the right rear spring has part of a leaf cut off. an old drag racing trick this car was a suposidly a drag car some time in the 60's. I may have to put in the new suspension I have sooner than later ,if I want carry any pass. that is kind of why we got a sedan. the engine got a little warm it is a new engine still seating rings. It was a great first drive .

Attachments

• car 033.jpg
    car 033.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 25
  • car 034.jpg
    car 034.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 29
  • car 035.jpg
    car 035.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 32
  • car 036.jpg
    car 036.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 26
  • car 032.jpg
    car 032.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 24
running boards

after driving I realize gotta have running boards. I have some steel ones but they are ate up. would take alot to make them right. I am a furniture maker by trade and have had several people sugjest I make some out of wood. well that is what I'm going to do. will use exterior grade sign board. will look like steel after filled smoothed and painted.

Attachments

• car 037.jpg
    car 037.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 20
  • car 039.jpg
    car 039.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 19
  • car 043.jpg
    car 043.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 16
  • car 046.jpg
    car 046.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 15
  • car 047.jpg
    car 047.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 15
  • car 040.jpg
    car 040.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 15
Were your feet draggin??? LOL

after driving I realize gotta have running boards. I have some steel ones but they are ate up. would take alot to make them right. I am a furniture maker by trade and have had several people sugjest I make some out of wood. well that is what I'm going to do. will use exterior grade sign board. will look like steel after filled smoothed and painted.

Seriously, why do you "have" to have them?? I thought it looked pretty darn nice like it was...JMHO.... the ones you've made up look cool but was just wondering why it's a must....nosey I guess......must be this job....makes ya ask a lot of questions....lol

I'm guessing maybe the rocks hitting the front edge of the rear fender?

Great looking car btw! And cool idea on the running boards, definitely putting in your own twist to the build

just the little ive driven already chips in rear fenders.yeh it looks cool with out, will look even better with them and protect the sides of the car.

Seriously, why do you "have" to have them?? I thought it looked pretty darn nice like it was...JMHO.... the ones you've made up look cool but was just wondering why it's a must....nosey I guess......must be this job....makes ya ask a lot of questions....lol

what do you mean , must be this job ....makes ya ask a lot of questions ?

He's a cop. (A nice one).

Is exterior grade sign board plywood? What is different about it? It looks heavy and dense.

It running boards look excellent.

Is that the plywood that has the resin coated paper on the surface? I used some to make some trim pieces on a patio I built for a customer and that stuff held up great!

He's a cop. (A nice one).

Is exterior grade sign board plywood? What is different about it? It looks heavy and dense.

It running boards look excellent.

ok a cop that makes since. yes it is ply wood. more thinner layers, exterior grade glue, flat very dense outer layer takes paint well and will accept auto finishes.

Attachments

• car 048.jpg
    car 048.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 8
  • car 052.jpg
    car 052.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 10
  • car 050.jpg
    car 050.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 10
Sorry Harley Rider.....thought most everyone knew my job...

I didn't think about the stones flying....that would be a good reason....looks like you've got the right ideas and the right materials....cool [cl Sorry for the confusion.....thanks BobW...you're an alright fella too...:D

got the running boards on .I ran out of the paint I used on the body I had some semi gloss sprayed that on . was'nt sure what that would look like I think it turn out alright.

Attachments

• car 061.jpg
    car 061.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 22
  • car 064.jpg
    car 064.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 17
  • car 059.jpg
    car 059.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 18
Gotta Say.......Not bad.....!!

Look really good..... a lot better than I had in my minds eye.....I think you made the right decision....[cl

pin striping

got some pin striping last night.

Attachments

• pin striping 050.jpg
    pin striping 050.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 13
  • pin striping 046.jpg
    pin striping 046.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 10
  • pin striping 045.jpg
    pin striping 045.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 10
  • pin striping 043.jpg
    pin striping 043.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 8
  • pin striping 042.jpg
    pin striping 042.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 10
  • pin striping 040.jpg
    pin striping 040.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 8
  • pin striping 024.jpg
    pin striping 024.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 12
  • pin striping 025.jpg
    pin striping 025.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 15
new rear suspension

after driving some more decided to go ahead and change out the worn out leaf springs. I had already bought a chassis enginering suspension kit.pulled the rear end and found it had 2:56 gears that just wasnt going to work. so we decided to change them out for some 3:42 gears and a posi . I had never rebuilt a rear end .bought a set of Richmond gears, they came with good instructions . with that and some advise from a friend it went well.

Attachments

• axle 011.jpg
    axle 011.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 13
  • axle 004.jpg
    axle 004.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 10
  • axle 005.jpg
    axle 005.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 10
  • axle 007.jpg
    axle 007.jpg