Would I be SHUNNED??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glen1978

Trying to thing of an engine to run in my 41 cabbed rod. I really dont want to do the 350 Chevy. Cant afford flathead and power sucks. Thought about a big Caddy motor and thought about an old 250 or 292 straight 6 with some cool old school mods. Nailheads, Y blocks, 348 Chevy have all been in my mind at one point or another but havent seen any for sale locally.

What about a newer model LSx Chevy engine? Of course it would be carb'd and have the coil packs mounted to the frame and some kinda fabricated valve covers. They are cheap, make GOBS of power, dang near bulletproof, parts are readily available. The ONLY reason Im even thinking about this is because Im planning on running the hood/part of a grill so most would be covered up. Would I be an outcast?

not here

not on this board, we are an open minded bunch.

rodding is using what ya have, can afford or can make.

l have IFS on my open wheel car and most here really don't care, but some boards flip there lid over that.

look at a lot of the threads and you'll see how cool the people are around here:D

Later:cool:

Oh yeah, you guys are top notch! There wont be much wiring harness really on it at all. They look pretty much like a SBC with weird valve covers once you get them down bare bones carbd.

I love LS motors & have 2 of them. Here's a shot I took at Roundup this year!

BoB

Attachments

• ls.jpg
    ls.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 58
they are pretty hard to beat!! Good pic! I think it would have looked better if he would have relocated the coil packs but to each his own.

Glen,
Here's the LS3 in my '65 Chevelle 585hp on the dyno... great torquey motor!

BoB

Attachments

• LS3.jpg
    LS3.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 33
What about a Straight-8 ???

In the last few months, I have found and seen... two or three, maybe four but definately not five old straight8's. They're probly not the easiest to find parts but you'd be about the only one ridin one. -that's for sure. Anyhow, I have chosen a late fifties/very early sixties straight six. Parts are CHEAP, they're the easiest to work on, and it leaves a whole lot of room up front for fit and accessibility. - - The straight8's I found were around $500

Straight 8 would dang sure be cool. There is a 1952 Pontiac straight 8 for sale local for $500. Did a little poking around on google and there is not a big rave about them for sure. Im sure parts would be pretty scarce too. Gotta lotta things running around my mind!

Tripper.....that is a CLEAN install. Looks awesome!

You're only an outcast to those persons with small minds. Nobody cares what they "think" anyhow.

I think an LS engine is a good idea. Like you say, they're common in salvage yards these days, and will easily adapt to older transmissions. I'd have to go carburetor, and ditch those horrible coilpacks. (No offense, Tripper. I love your intake/carb setup, but I hate the coils hangin' out there).

Speedy Bill has some cool valve covers if the coils are relocated. He has extensions for the coil harness, too.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/LS1-LS6-Chevy-Finned-Valve-Covers,36061.html

LSVC.jpg

AWW HELL!! Im pretty sure my mind just got made up......I HATE SPEEDWAY! And there dang catalog is coming in the mail to me too!

Do what you want and forget what others think. I have a 92 Ford Ranger that is mostly stock but I still love it and will do whatever i want to it without regard what others think.Your the one who has to drive it and thats all that counts.Now of cource if it was mine, I would go with a 302. Because I love Fords but thats just me, do what you like and drive it till the wheels fall off.[;)[P:cool:

You thing you will get shunned you should see my plans lol. If I wouldnt have gotten my olds engine cheap I would run a mitsubishi engine.

I love Fords too, built up a couple of foxbody Mustangs. One 347 stroker and then a 418 stroker. Dealt with the LSx motors in rockcrawlers then had a LS6 in my 02 Z06 and man that thing hauled the mail!! Im pretty much steered towards them again.

Not looking for a power house so either a 5.3L or 6.0L whichever shows up first. Speedway sells the valve covers and lake header kits.....couple that with a hood over it and you would have to look twice to see what it was.

Question for guys running these carb'd. Do you only have to power the coil pack box? Is there anything else that has to be hooked up?

Oh I love Oldsmobile engines.....but my Mitsubishi engines all made over 400 HP very reliability. Old American engines are way way way cooler. But I just know the Mitsubishi engine like the back of my hand. Good news though is that now I have no reason to keep it I can sell my past remains of the engine Turbo and all.

Probably need to head over to the other RRR site to do that...........rice rockets rule. LOL!

you should go more traditional

like my efi 2.3 with dual spark plugs. hey at least itll be better on gas than my 4.0 efi . but nothing compares to my 80Ci! two wheels and no seat belts. My friend offered me a straight flat six out of a henry j. probably then next sexiest motor to a flathead ford but it had a auto :(

Attachments

• 053.jpg
    053.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Back